Benchmark Burleys

sisyphus
Person of Interest

I was thinking Jackknife Plug too, but I didn't know if that really qualified. Does it have enough Kentucky to truly be called a Burley?
Liberty cannot be purchased by a wish.
Thomas Paine
Billy Joe

Great thread.
I've been on a burley kick lately. It's what I reach for most often. I would add Solani ABF. I picked some up at the NY show in March and it is spectacular. I'm still on the fence about many VAs, but as far as burley, it is practically all I want now.
I prefer the Pegasus to the OJK, to me the perique hits me differently at different times. Bob R. was the Burley king, wasn't he?

Also Dig Classic Burley Kake, but that might be considered an aro.
9 Iron
Founding Member

Wessex Burley Slices is amazing. I love Uhle's Perfection Plug, and Uhle's Blend 00 is a winner too. Peretti Burley Plug Cut is worthy of mention, can be a bugger to keep lit. Like Ruffino, my ol reliable is Golden Extra.

Pegasus sounds interesting, I'm going to have to give that one a try.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

sisyphus wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:41 pm
Bullwinkle wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:38 pm Cuban Mixture
can't do Peretti. There is a mild scenting in most of their Burley that most people don't even taste but to me it's like dish soap.
Dont try Sutliff Burley Delight ... lol ... it has a littl eof what youre talking about . Its an old school topnote and Idont know what the heck it is . Of all the " weird type blends " its the only weird type I kinda like , depending on the specific blend
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Rewster

UHLES 00 BURLEY... nuff said
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match is a super blend.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Oh my , I almost forgot IRC KoKo ! Its temperamental , unfortunately , and thers a learning curve with it [ That I havent learned completely ] .Generally , with blends like that .. I dont bother . The first few bowls I had of it a few years back .I didnt care for it too much . But the 3rd or 4th bowl was outstanding . I dont smoke it often enough and will have hits and misses with it , but when its on [ Or I get it ] , its really really neat stuff
It has a tendency to smoke a bit hot is the problem and its unfortunate . However , its one where I have to make sure I go slow and easy and then it rocks . Basically ,its a pain in the ass but worth it when I want it .

Now that I mentioned and wrote about it , I'm fixing to go smoke some
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:18 pm no, but I did get a 35 year old bulging ring pull tub from pipestud, and that stuff is like smoking chocolate cake!
Tease!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Wildcat
Codger in Training

kb7get wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:37 pm Also add Velvet
Velvet is good stuff!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:32 pm Solani Aged Burley Flake is the bomb. I was not thinking about that one.
Five years ago I would have listed it for sure. I think adding Watch City and HU to my cellar bumped it out.
Liberty cannot be purchased by a wish.
Thomas Paine