Benchmark Burleys

User avatar
sisyphus
Site Admin
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:44 am
Location: Red Oak, IA

Fri May 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Whistlebritches wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:55 pm
Not sure if this truly fits the burley category but Solani 660 Silver Flake is one of my favorite baccy's period.
that one will make the Va blends thread for sure
User avatar
Ruffinogold
The Mayor
Posts: 888
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff , Georgia

Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Man , Edgeworth Slices ... if it were a perfect world , we'd all be smoking it . I'll never not be shocked that it was stopped being produced . I honestly thought at last half of all pipe smokers smoked it , at least some of the time
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 2):
Mr BeardsleyThelonious monkfish
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
JustScott
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 8:12 am
Location: CA

Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 am

Ruffinogold wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 pm
Man , Edgeworth Slices ... if it were a perfect world , we'd all be smoking it . I'll never not be shocked that it was stopped being produced . I honestly thought at last half of all pipe smokers smoked it , at least some of the time
I've heard a lot of good things about Edgeworth Slices, too bad I started smoking a pipe about when Walnut went off the market. A few years too late for Edgeworth of any type except Match. I thought I had read somewhere that Watch City Slices was similar? Have you smoked both? If so, what do you think? Just curious. I already know that MMMV, lol...
This post by JustScott liked by:
Ruffinogold
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Mon May 21, 2018 3:33 pm

I have a tiny jar with some Edgeworth slices from the 60's that was carefully re-hydrated. There's nothing like it. Closest I've had is wessex burley slice
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomRuffinogold
May contain lead paint
User avatar
steamboat
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:21 pm

There is a new Burley Kake, that got released this year from C&D. Its called Redburn, and it does not get the attention i think it deserves. Its a fantastic nutty tad sweet burley blend with a tiny bit of rum casing, almost not noticeable but its there. I think its one of my favorite new blends i tried so far this year. If your into Burleys and want to try something different, pick a tin of it up, especially if your an aromatic smoker looking to get into burleys.

I would almost say its a cross over into straight burley as Frog Morton Cellar is to Latakia blends.
This post by steamboat liked by:
Fr_Tom
User avatar
Ruffinogold
The Mayor
Posts: 888
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff , Georgia

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:31 pm

JustScott wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 am
Ruffinogold wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 pm
Man , Edgeworth Slices ... if it were a perfect world , we'd all be smoking it . I'll never not be shocked that it was stopped being produced . I honestly thought at last half of all pipe smokers smoked it , at least some of the time
I've heard a lot of good things about Edgeworth Slices, too bad I started smoking a pipe about when Walnut went off the market. A few years too late for Edgeworth of any type except Match. I thought I had read somewhere that Watch City Slices was similar? Have you smoked both? If so, what do you think? Just curious. I already know that MMMV, lol...
Watch city is very good . It has some brighter notes that wessex wont have at all . It's not as smooth either . s it bad... hell no , its very damn good ! I'd smoke it way before I'd smoke a C&D , H&H or GLP burley ... which are all harsh in comparison .. at least to me . They are all at leeast good but those former have some sort of production that isnt up to par with the Europeans and I couldnt tell you what it is , or isnt . It's in the treatment or lack there of or diffeerent sources [more than likely ] but if you side by side smoke them , its a pretty big difference , especially in smoothness and mouth feel ... teh Amerian stuff I mentioned have thinnr and brighter mouthfeel , which is fine in a Virginia , especially a lemony virginia or the like .. but the wrong direction for a burley . My humble opinion , of course
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:37 pm

JustScott wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 am
Ruffinogold wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 pm
Man , Edgeworth Slices ... if it were a perfect world , we'd all be smoking it . I'll never not be shocked that it was stopped being produced . I honestly thought at last half of all pipe smokers smoked it , at least some of the time
I've heard a lot of good things about Edgeworth Slices, too bad I started smoking a pipe about when Walnut went off the market. A few years too late for Edgeworth of any type except Match. I thought I had read somewhere that Watch City Slices was similar? Have you smoked both? If so, what do you think? Just curious. I already know that MMMV, lol...
Closest thing to Edgeworth I've had (and I haven't had a ton so take it with a grain of salt) is wessex burley slice.

Watch city slices is great but a different beast entirely
May contain lead paint
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:41 pm

steamboat wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:21 pm
There is a new Burley Kake, that got released this year from C&D. Its called Redburn, and it does not get the attention i think it deserves. Its a fantastic nutty tad sweet burley blend with a tiny bit of rum casing, almost not noticeable but its there. I think its one of my favorite new blends i tried so far this year. If your into Burleys and want to try something different, pick a tin of it up, especially if your an aromatic smoker looking to get into burleys.

I would almost say its a cross over into straight burley as Frog Morton Cellar is to Latakia blends.
I've had Redburn and I think it's OK. Wouldn't place it as a benchmark blend and definitely wouldn't say it's the best c&d has to offer. But that's what makes pipe smoking fun... We don't all agree or have to agree on what we enjoy
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by:
steamboat
May contain lead paint
User avatar
steamboat
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:44 pm

The old Edgeworth must be really different from the Lane Ready Rubbed that is available today. I dont find the lane any where near the same profile as Wessex. I was told the ready rubbed is basically Edgeworth, sound like its not, from the people that smoked the original. I never got the privilege yet to try the original only the Lane.
Post Reply