Your Blend Recipes

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:50 pm
houtenziel wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 pm My Anise Burley came out of the press a couple minutes ago. I think I sufficiently cranked down on the press, and the tobacco was much warmer, and a tad more moist from the extra casing. It came out about half height of my last two(with a half ounce more tobacco), and it feels almost like plastic. I can't really smell the anise in it, so hopefully it comes through in the flavor, otherwise I might have to start not being so conservative with my additives.

Looks fantastic. I think it's definitely going to take some experimenting to get an actual flavor dialed in vs a hint of aromatic
I think in this case, it's ok. Regular anise seed kinda smells funny anyway.. not the strong licorice kind of smell you get from Star Anise. I prefer the taste of regular anise, as the star variety tastes a little sharp/strong to me. I have a slight aversion to intense licorice.. my family is Dutch, and there is this licorice candy known as salmiak which has ammonium chloride added to it. They all love it, but to me it tastes like salty Sambuca cat piss.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:16 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:50 pm
houtenziel wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 pm My Anise Burley came out of the press a couple minutes ago. I think I sufficiently cranked down on the press, and the tobacco was much warmer, and a tad more moist from the extra casing. It came out about half height of my last two(with a half ounce more tobacco), and it feels almost like plastic. I can't really smell the anise in it, so hopefully it comes through in the flavor, otherwise I might have to start not being so conservative with my additives.

Looks fantastic. I think it's definitely going to take some experimenting to get an actual flavor dialed in vs a hint of aromatic
I think in this case, it's ok. Regular anise seed kinda smells funny anyway.. not the strong licorice kind of smell you get from Star Anise. I prefer the taste of regular anise, as the star variety tastes a little sharp/strong to me. I have a slight aversion to intense licorice.. my family is Dutch, and there is this licorice candy known as salmiak which has ammonium chloride added to it. They all love it, but to me it tastes like salty Sambuca cat piss.
Salmiak sounds absolutely horrible lol. I had a bottle of food grade anise flavor that I got rid of recently (it had been around a while) but that stuff was crazy strong. You could put a few drops on one of those humidifier discs and infuse a blend pretty easily with it
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Super Happy with how it cuts.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:10 pm Super Happy with how it cuts.
A beautiful sight to see
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Decided, despite many folks saying it doesn't do anything, that I am going to stove half of my Anise Burley cake and see what happens. I figure that since stoving is not unlike cavendish process where the tobacco is steamed to mellow it, that it should actually make a difference.
I am going to use my Virginia steaming protocol (200F for 2 Hours)..

If only I could figure out what Wellman's Process is..
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:11 am Decided, despite many folks saying it doesn't do anything, that I am going to stove half of my Anise Burley cake and see what happens. I figure that since stoving is not unlike cavendish process where the tobacco is steamed to mellow it, that it should actually make a difference.

Being completely unfamiliar with "wellman's process" I had to Google it. I've not had granger either. But if I was throwing ideas against the wall to screw with burley I'd find a way to introduce extra moisture (like a metal humidifier disc) while stoving for a good bit of time, say 4-6 hours. Leave the jar all sealed up for 7-10 days and then open it to do your drying / casing / pressing and leave it pressed for 7-10 days
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:37 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:11 am Decided, despite many folks saying it doesn't do anything, that I am going to stove half of my Anise Burley cake and see what happens. I figure that since stoving is not unlike cavendish process where the tobacco is steamed to mellow it, that it should actually make a difference.

Being completely unfamiliar with "wellman's process" I had to Google it. I've not had granger either. But if I was throwing ideas against the wall to screw with burley I'd find a way to introduce extra moisture (like a metal humidifier disc) while stoving for a good bit of time, say 4-6 hours. Leave the jar all sealed up for 7-10 days and then open it to do your drying / casing / pressing and leave it pressed for 7-10 days
You hit on my main concern. Moisture loss and having the flavor burn off or get funky at stoving temps is a real possibility. I have read a few places that Wellman's might actually just be extra fermentation of the Burley when it's bailed and kept at higher temps. Kind of makes me wonder if a short stoving might be able to come close to replicating the smoothness. We'll see what happens though.. it's already been stoved and is a couple shades darker. The pressing relaxed a bit, but way less than I was expecting. When my wife came in the kitchen, she honestly thought I had bread in the oven, and didn't believe me when I told her it was tobacco :) That might be a good sign.
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

houtenziel wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:11 am
I read somewhere that the Wellman's process involved prune juice. I can't give you a citation, and it could have been some forum idiot making something up.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:11 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:11 am
I read somewhere that the Wellman's process involved prune juice. I can't give you a citation, and it could have been some forum idiot making something up.
Prune juice has been cited elsewhere as a casing ingredient so I wouldn't doubt the possibilities
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Stoved Burley jar looked totally dry this morning, and the tobacco was rich and dark and calling to me. Naturally I got impatient and loaded a pipe full. It massively smoothed out this stuff. It's super smooth, nutty, and the anise flavor seems more incorporated rather than standing apart.
― Theodore Roosevelt