Your Blend Recipes

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

BriarPipeNYC wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:13 pm Hello, fellow pipe smokers....

I'm a big fan of "hybrid" blending, using commercially available, professionally mixed tobaccos as a "base" and then adding some additional mixtures or blending tobaccos to create a new, unique, customized blend to call my own. So far I created two blends that I want to share with the forum members:

"PLEASANT MOMENTS"

Base: Lane Ltd. "HGL" (Captain Black with Latakia)

10 ounces HGL
2 ounces mild Cigar-Leaf
2 ounces match "Elizabethan"
2 ounces Cube-Cut Burley #41
(Optional: 1-2 ounces Lane Ltd "BCA")

Mix well and let age for at least 1 month in a container... to blend all the flavors. Excellent, mild, smooth and creamy mouth feel, great aroma. Easy to smoke, easy to stay lit, and sniffers love the fragrance of the thick smoke. Just enough Latakia and Perique to make a complex blending of flavors. Cigar-leaf adds some added interest. Creamy, vanilla with hints of coffee and chocolate. Definitely not like any aromatics. ( Additional "BCA" for more caramel/vanilla taste and aroma).

***************************************************************************************************************************

"BENEDICTION"

1 Part Wilke's "High Hat"
1 Part Petrer Stokkebye's" Luxury Bullseye Flake"

Rub out the flake and mix well with the stronger English "High Hat"... Unique aroma, and the LBF mellows out any rough edges from the classic Wilke's mixture, "High Hat" A little ballsy, but still pleasant, and smokes easy enough to please the English lovers. Aroma/flavor is unique...not harsh. Latakia, while there, is in the background, along with the sparky Perique. [ Va-Per/English] Very nice.

Enjoy!
Welcome to the forum.. great first post to btw. :)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
BriarPipeNYC

Thanks for the interest and it's nice to be a forum member.

The flavor profile of "Pleasant Moments" can be changed by the use of different types of cigar-leaf. Robust, mild, medium....all the choice of the one who mixes.

I used "trimmings" that I bought from a cigar shop that makes hand-rolled cigars. So, I'm sure there was both wrapper and filler leaf included in the trimmings. I asked for leaf from mild cigars. I could taste the cigar leaf and smell it, but it's not at all "overpowering" or harsh.. The HGL is still controls the main flavor...and all the additional tobaccos will put some additional punch into "Captain Black".
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

BriarPipeNYC wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:38 am Thanks for the interest and it's nice to be a forum member.

The flavor profile of "Pleasant Moments" can be changed by the use of different types of cigar-leaf. Robust, mild, medium....all the choice of the one who mixes.

I used "trimmings" that I bought from a cigar shop that makes hand-rolled cigars. So, I'm sure there was both wrapper and filler leaf included in the trimmings. I asked for leaf from mild cigars. I could taste the cigar leaf and smell it, but it's not at all "overpowering" or harsh.. The HGL is still controls the main flavor...and all the additional tobaccos will put some additional punch into "Captain Black".
Every year at Christmas time a good friend of mine always gives me tins of those little cigarillos, usually Partagas or Monte Cristo but they're usually wound too tight and too dried out to smoke, so I started chopping them up and throwing them into blends with Virginias, Dark Fired Kentucky and Perique. The result is a spicy, STRONG flavored butt kicker of a blend that is guaranteed to satisfy your vitamin N cravings and lengthen your nose hair! ;) :lol:
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I've been slacking on making anything new since I've been concentrating on thinning out my sample jars
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Since I had a little bit of free time today I decided to get some tobacco together to toss in the press. It's currently drying down just a touch more before getting heated and loaded under the screw. Simple mix:

2oz double down
0.3oz dfk
0.15oz perique

Very light shot of casing with a touch of gum Arabic to glue it together. I was going to skip the gum this round but it really does do a nice job of keeping things compressed after taking it out
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I didn't realize that today is the 2 week mark on the current pressing. Haven't decided if I'm going to pull it or just let it continue to sit under pressure and see what happens
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Finally pulled the double down plug after 17? days under the screw
sisyphus
Person of Interest

so I had a blend that I thought was a failed attempt that I put up two years ago. I was trying to recreate Union Leader, a maple topped codger Burley. Two years in the jar have really improved this stuff. One of the components is Newminster Light Burley, which at the time I thought tasted cheap and acrid. Now, it's toned down a lot, and reminds me of MacBaren/Amphora, which is a good thing. The other Burleys I used were C&D Dark Burley and Stokkebye Cube Cut.

This needs more maple though. I used Sutliff Rum and Maple at the time. I am going to whip up another batch using C&D Maple Cavendish, and use more of it. If I'm happy I'll post the recipe here. Smoking this old version, I think I should be able to pull it off no problem.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

oldbill wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:05 pm
BriarPipeNYC wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:38 am Thanks for the interest and it's nice to be a forum member.

Every year at Christmas time a good friend of mine always gives me tins of those little cigarillos, usually Partagas or Monte Cristo but they're usually wound too tight and too dried out to smoke, so I started chopping them up and throwing them into blends with Virginias, Dark Fired Kentucky and Perique. The result is a spicy, STRONG flavored butt kicker of a blend that is guaranteed to satisfy your vitamin N cravings and lengthen your nose hair! ;) :lol:
I've got some o' those kickin' around. I may give this a try!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I did end up putting another batch of Pembrique in the press last night. Wrenched it down good and even went over the seams of the press with tape to seal it up even better. The plan is to take it out on Christmas day (so a little more than a month)