Mylar

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Have any of you used Mylar bags for longterm tobacco storage? I've always used jars with no problem, but have been thinking of buying some large quantities of and Mylar is an alternative. Just don't know how they stand up over extended periods.

What say you?
rekamepip
Codger in Training

I bought the ziplock style for the reason I didn’t have the electric sealer to proper seal the bags for extended storage . I used a block of plywood and some hand clamps to basically squeeze as much air out of the bags before zipping them up
I then bought some of those magic vacuum packing bags used for blankets/clothing storage and carefully stacked my Mylar bagels in them and vacuumed out as much air as possible

I left a few individual Mylar bags full out just because I ran out of vacuum bags and with those bags I have since opened up a few and the tobacco is just fine

Definitely saves space but does take time bagging and labeling :thumbs:
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have been given tobacco that had been stored in mylar, and it was good. I am not sure how long it had been stored that way.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ronv69
Founding Member

I have been storing unopened tins, especially the square ones, in mylar zipper bags for the last 6 years. When I open a bag to check in always has a tobacco smell, but the tub I keep the bags in doesn't smell at all.
God and Texas!
avid

what’s a mylar bag
insufferable filter guy
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

avid wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:50 amwhat’s a mylar bag
https://www.amazon.com/mylar-bags/s?k=mylar+bags
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

I ordered a bunch of the small and medium-sized metallic Mylar bags. I've seen videos of people sealing them with regular clothes irons, so I'll put up 10lbs or so and let you know how it works 7 years from now. :thumbs:
avid

well, if it works anything like the bag that BBQ potato chips come in, should be fine, i've been putting those through rigorous testing
insufferable filter guy
mingc

I don't think the zip-lock is much of a seal, especially over a period of years. I use a hair styling flat iron (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZX9ZR5/re ... =UTF8&th=1) to heat seal the mylar bag. The inner layers of plastic are designed melt and meld into the other to create the seal. I fold a piece of aluminium foil over the edge so that the iron doesn't actually contact the bag. Otherwise, bits of melted plastic will get on the iron, which will have to be cleaned after it cools. The foil can be reused for multiple bags.
Whalehead King

avid wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:27 am well, if it works anything like the bag that BBQ potato chips come in, should be fine, i've been putting those through rigorous testing
Do you wash the bag first or do you infuse your tobaccos with BBQ flavor? Cut out the middleman? Take that Drew Estate!

I'm hip to this idea. I'm going to buy a bag of Voodoo Zapps tomorrow just for the bag.