Benchmark Straight Virginias

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:25 am The benchmark Virginia, in my mind , is Dunhill Flake. It's not too far in either flavor direction . It's one of those blends that most any pipe smoker has had and thats part of what makes a benchmark as well , the referencing of it . It's about medium in flavor and that helps too . From it , certain flavors can go further or lighter etc ... one could talk about a different virginia and say ...... its not as sweet as dunhill , or its more lemony etc.. and people would get where the guy was coming from . It happens to be a great blend as well

Fixed the spellings in my original post . I still think Dunhill is the benchmark virginia . .y wife has a couple tins from ,I'd have to look , but some years back . It ages so great ..... I should steal them from her :)
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:59 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:25 am The benchmark Virginia, in my mind , is Dunhill Flake. It's not too far in either flavor direction . It's one of those blends that most any pipe smoker has had and thats part of what makes a benchmark as well , the referencing of it . It's about medium in flavor and that helps too . From it , certain flavors can go further or lighter etc ... one could talk about a different virginia and say ...... its not as sweet as dunhill , or its more lemony etc.. and people would get where the guy was coming from . It happens to be a great blend as well

Fixed the spellings in my original post . I still think Dunhill is the benchmark virginia . .y wife has a couple tins from ,I'd have to look , but some years back . It ages so great ..... I should steal them from her :)

Oh boy ... I checked . 2013 and 2014 . I wonder if she'd miss one
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

You know.. I haven't had any of the Dunhill( now Peterson I guess?) Virginias. I should get some. I generally am not a straight VA smoker, but I think its worth a go just for reference as Ruff stated above.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Middle Earth

Due to its limited run/availability I cannt say it is a benchmark
But Carolina Red Flake is a fantastic VA
It was still in stock last I looked, but as always, it will sell out ..... quickly
Tsal
Forum Decorum

You've smoked one Va, you've smoked them all. Grass and hay, grass and hay, fellas.
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:55 am You've smoked one Va, you've smoked them all. Grass and hay, grass and hay, fellas.
With hints of citrus and Lectric Shave
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

billinrio wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:15 pm Thank you. It's a pleasure to participate. Reading this "Benchmark Virginias" thread inspired me to crack open a 2 year-old tin of Gawaith Best Brown Flake, which I decided to smoke in my Savinelli "Spigot" dress pipe in their 315KS ("author") shape. This is a great pipe that I picked up at a "Savinelli Night" event at what I believe is the best pipe shop in Paris (À la pipe du nord). I rubbed out a few flakes and let them dry for an hour, and this is turning out to be (so far) a "one-match" smoke. Quite cool and very nuanced, with some citrus and some leather.
Love me some nuance of citrus and leather! Welcome to PSF where the smoking lamp is always lit.
The Troll Whisperer
Middle Earth

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:55 am You've smoked one Va, you've smoked them all. Grass and hay, grass and hay, fellas.
Haters gonna hate

Middle Earth

BTW not done here

I recall a certain member extolling F&T Cut Virginia Plug.....
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Middle Earth wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:12 am
Haters gonna hate

On the contrary, I happen to like straight Virginia's, I just can't seem to pull the wool over my head like everyone else can.
The Troll Whisperer