Availability . The good , bad and ugly

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:44 pm

leacha wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:52 am
There a lot of choice pickings in the "good". Im scratching my head with 507c, though it doesn't surprise me. After the fall of the McClelland Empire people googled, found it, tried it and now are stocking it. Maybe they didn't want to get caught with their pants down if goes the wayside.

I keep wanting to smoke a few D&R blends but that whole RYO into pipe tobacco really rubs me raw.
I enjoy a few D&R blends (in the pipe). Picayune is a favorite, although I did have someone on another forum contact me and offer to send me a tin minus a couple of bowls. It was NOT to his liking. So... not everyone likes it.

I have a brother who came for a visit. He had tried pipe smoking but had not liked the mild aro blends they insisted he wanted at a local pipe shop. I gave him a pot I got from @Wooda and some generous samples of OJK and Picayune. I gave him a quick tutorial on packing, etc. He had always been a cigar smoker, but that runs into some money, and he was open to a pipe.

He was really impressed that they tasted like tobacco and were not what he would would call wimpy. There was a lot of flavor, and he enjoyed it. After he went home, I contacted him to see how things were going. He said he had just ordered a pound of Picayune. The pipe smoking was going really well.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 3):
RusticatedMaynardMikeDennison
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:47 pm

Whalehead King wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:41 pm
I don't have a deep cellar, but I do have enough tobacco lying around to not experience a near-term shortage. No panic attacks at Chez King.

When I first picked up the pipe, I lived in Boston so I would go over to L.J. Piretti or to a shop in Brookline on the Green Line of the T, I forget its name, or I would take my motorcycle out to Quincy to see what the B&M there had in stock. I buy tins online, of course, but I'm content with whatever the local selection may be. I don't live in Boston anymore but I have a couple of B&Ms in New Orleans to satisfy my needs when I want to try something new.

I'm not one to stockpile, so I'm not one to buy in bulk. An ounce, a tin, whatever is available. A little dis and dat. Whatever they have in stock.

I'm a connoisseur in the sense that I like what I like, but I'm not particularly persnickety. I dislike too many choices. My mind shuts down when given too many options. I prefer a straight choice: this or that. "Whaddaya got?" Tell me and I'll choose something. I am easily pleased. When I'm not happy, I don't buy it again. I don't like Sail and I don't like Daughters and Ryan. Aside from that, whatever is available is fine with me.

I am a simple man without taste. I may as well live in Mineral Bluff, Georgia 100 years ago and walk into the general store. "Whaddaya got?" Whatever they had, I'd take it and I'd be happy with it.

FLIBBERTYFLEE!!!

This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 4):
Fr_TomWhalehead KingRusticatedMaynard
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:

....I gave him a pot I got from @Wooda and some generous samples of OJK and Picayune. I gave him a quick tutorial on packing, etc. He had always been a cigar smoker, but that runs into some money, and he was open to a pipe.

...After he went home, I contacted him to see how things were going. He said he had just ordered a pound of Picayune. The pipe smoking was going really well.
Well, when a newbie learns from a master, of course it goes well. And Wooda was involved, too, if only tangentially, for an extra shot of fortunate providence! The PSF stars were aligned to make a new pipe smoker in this situation.

A tip of my fedora to Fr. Tom, and in Wooda's direction, too. We live in a tightly woven universe that makes good things happen. :ugeek:

This post by Whalehead King liked by (total 5):
Kevin KeithFr_TomRusticatedWoodaMikeDennison
----Just some joker in New Orleans who happens to have time on his hands while running a tiny hotel.
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:09 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
I enjoy a few D&R blends (in the pipe).
Hmmmmmmm. No questions.
This post by Whalehead King liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomRusticatedMikeDennison
----Just some joker in New Orleans who happens to have time on his hands while running a tiny hotel.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:44 pm

I used to have just a few blends on hand , post shop days . It was easy and fine . I'd rather have a bulk on a few blends then a bit of a ton of blends . variety and mice , surely , but a Go To , a couple favorites and otc .... I'm way good to go
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 2):
RusticatedMikeDennison
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
slowroll
Founding Member

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:02 pm

Gotta admit that D&R is mostly crap, but I think GLP & H&H are pretty good, albeit lacking or short on bulk offerings.of course, most of C&D stuff is usually available, and very good. I smoke a lot of their stuff.
This post by slowroll liked by (total 2):
RusticatedMikeDennison
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Whistlebritches

Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:54 pm

I have been a little miffed lately at 4noggins............no Prairie Wind to be had.I am in desperate need of a couple LB's to put down for a long nap.
This post by Whistlebritches liked by:
MikeDennison
Rusticated

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:30 pm

Whalehead King wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:41 pm
I don't have a deep cellar, but I do have enough tobacco lying around to not experience a near-term shortage. No panic attacks at Chez King.

When I first picked up the pipe, I lived in Boston so I would go over to L.J. Piretti or to a shop in Brookline on the Green Line of the T, I forget its name, or I would take my motorcycle out to Quincy to see what the B&M there had in stock. I buy tins online, of course, but I'm content with whatever the local selection may be. I don't live in Boston anymore but I have a couple of B&Ms in New Orleans to satisfy my needs when I want to try something new.

I'm not one to stockpile, so I'm not one to buy in bulk. An ounce, a tin, whatever is available. A little dis and dat. Whatever they have in stock.

I'm a connoisseur in the sense that I like what I like, but I'm not particularly persnickety. I dislike too many choices. My mind shuts down when given too many options. I prefer a straight choice: this or that. "Whaddaya got?" Tell me and I'll choose something. I am easily pleased. When I'm not happy, I don't buy it again. I don't like Sail and I don't like Daughters and Ryan. Aside from that, whatever is available is fine with me.

I am a simple man without taste. I may as well live in Mineral Bluff, Georgia 100 years ago and walk into the general store. "Whaddaya got?" Whatever they had, I'd take it and I'd be happy with it.

Loved the SNL skit ...tooooooo funny!
Wooda
Founding Member

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:45 am

Fr_Tom wrote:
...I have a brother who came for a visit. He had tried pipe smoking but had not liked the mild aro blends they insisted he wanted at a local pipe shop. I gave him a pot I got from @Wooda and some generous samples of OJK and Picayune. I gave him a quick tutorial on packing, etc. He had always been a cigar smoker, but that runs into some money, and he was open to a pipe.

He was really impressed that they tasted like tobacco and were not what he would would call wimpy. There was a lot of flavor, and he enjoyed it. After he went home, I contacted him to see how things were going. He said he had just ordered a pound of Picayune. The pipe smoking was going really well.
I was wondering if he stuck with it. This warms my heart.

I'm due for another order of Old Dark Fired, SWRA, and at least a pound of a Virginia Flake (open to suggestions). It seems all my favorites are running out at once.
This post by Wooda liked by (total 2):
MikeDennisonRusticated
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:27 am

Wooda wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:45 am
Fr_Tom wrote:
...I have a brother who came for a visit. He had tried pipe smoking but had not liked the mild aro blends they insisted he wanted at a local pipe shop. I gave him a pot I got from @Wooda and some generous samples of OJK and Picayune. I gave him a quick tutorial on packing, etc. He had always been a cigar smoker, but that runs into some money, and he was open to a pipe.

I was wondering if he stuck with it. This warms my heart.

I'm due for another order of Old Dark Fired, SWRA, and at least a pound of a Virginia Flake (open to suggestions). It seems all my favorites are running out at once.
Cup o Joe's is doing 15% off MacBaren tins and 10% off Stokkebye at the moment. Maybe you can find something in their offerings
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 3):
MikeDennisonWhalehead KingRusticated
May contain lead paint