Kevin Keith
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fri May 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Wildcrow wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:21 am
How does it compare to SPBC?
If the rumors are true and spbc is the same stuff as lane BCA / captain black dark then I personally like the green river a little better. The C&D showed up less wet & sticky. But it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 2):
RuffinogoldWildcrow
May contain lead paint
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Sat May 12, 2018 8:05 am

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:31 pm
Wildcrow wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:21 am
How does it compare to SPBC?
If the rumors are true and spbc is the same stuff as lane BCA / captain black dark then I personally like the green river a little better. The C&D showed up less wet & sticky. But it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison
Thanks. I'm not saying C&D has me hooked in the gills, but I'm a fan of more of their blends than the sum of all other blends out there in pipe world I've tried.
This post by Wildcrow liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomMr BeardsleyJustScott
Certified Whackadoodle
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Sat May 12, 2018 8:29 am

Fr_Tom wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:20 pm
Wildcrow wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:50 am

Can someone recommend a Burley variety that's on the sweeter side of C and D?
I get more sweet with Pegasus and Epiphany.
I do love Pegasus, but I've noted a correlation between people saying a blends name on a forum and it being OOS for months... as pointed out by Chico on PSD. I smoked half a pound of Pegasus and think it's too close to OJK to bother trying to get it. Epiphany is great, but is fruit sweet whereas I'm hoping to stumble on a molasses sweet like Solani ABF.
Certified Whackadoodle
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Sat May 12, 2018 9:08 am

Dark Burley has a little but it is not like ABF. C&D Cube Cut Burley might be worth a try, but it is a light touch too.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Sat May 12, 2018 9:15 am

Thanks. Next order... next order.
Certified Whackadoodle
Thelonious monkfish

Sat May 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Crow, you checked out Sutliff Match Edgeworth? It's close to the original and has that molasses burley flavor. Being a C&D fan I'm sure you've had Bob Bushman too, not molasses but still lightly sweet with a depth to it. Reminds me of black and milds actually except better quality and with some nicotine.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomMr BeardsleyWildcrow
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Sun May 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Maybe I'm late in noticing, but I just saw that SP has John Marr from the c&d Melville at sea series available in bulk now.

Also, I'd toss both New Market & Engine #382 into the list of solid tobaccos that are consistently available and contain deer tongue for folks who want to dip their toe in and try it. I like both of those much more than crooner. They are much milder blends for something you could puff on all day long.
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by:
Thelonious monkfish
May contain lead paint
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Sun May 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:07 pm
Crow, you checked out Sutliff Match Edgeworth? It's close to the original and has that molasses burley flavor. Being a C&D fan I'm sure you've had Bob Bushman too, not molasses but still lightly sweet with a depth to it. Reminds me of black and milds actually except better quality and with some nicotine.
I had the Lane version when it was introduced a few years ago. I believe I was forced to abandon it because it failed the wife sniffer test. I think it's safe to reintroduce it to her and see if she thinks it smells better than some stinkers I keep burning here.

I'm still whittling names off my C&D list. They have so many blends.
This post by Wildcrow liked by (total 2):
Thelonious monkfishJustScott
Certified Whackadoodle
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sun May 13, 2018 2:02 pm

I was completely disappointed with the Lane RR . Heck , it isnt even a similar cut . I mean , if youre after a match of sorts , ya gotta at least attempt the cut . The Sutliff RR is way better .... imho .... Lane is ok on its own but its nowhere near a match . Its interesting because Lane has done such a fantastic job with the OTC theyve came out with and or revamped and then to drop the ball on the RR , I was surprised

Oh , Lanes Dark Red .... what a great freakin black cavendish . Really . lol , what black Cavendish isnt in stock all the time
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 2):
Thelonious monkfishMr Beardsley
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "