Must try blends

StompyMcFat

Sat May 12, 2018 12:20 pm

If I could add only one must try.... Dunhill EMP.
This post by StompyMcFat liked by:
Ruffinogold
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sat May 12, 2018 1:51 pm

David M wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:51 am
Yeah, you mention the Mac Baren Latakia Spun Disc - wasn't that the Latakia Blend? I remember it from the early 1970's. I'd sure love to have some of that again!
I can publicly thank Wildcrow for snagging me a tin of it somewhere recently !!! [ Thank You , Sir ] .. Yes , its the latakia blend and it was so wonderful its scary . I think they may still make it for th European market because I looked at their website the other day and both it and teh new lat blends are listed

I think , sadly , that it didnt go over well in the American market because of its name . It had only a touch of Latakia in it but it was called Latakia blend ,,, so , I believe many purchased it thinking it was gonna be an up front lat blend , which it isnt . They gave it that name because , of all their spun disc blends , it was the only one to contain any Latakia .

If theyd have named it Tanked out Turtle with a cute cartoon of a drunk turtle on the tin ...... it would have been on backorder for years because of its popularity . Heck , if they would have just named it anything else , it would have been a popular blend for them . It was/is by far , their best disc blend , inho
This post by Ruffinogold liked by:
Wildcrow
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
David M
Founding Member

Sat May 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Ruffinogold wrote:
David M wrote:
Yeah, you mention the Mac Baren Latakia Spun Disc - wasn't that the Latakia Blend? I remember it from the early 1970's. I'd sure love to have some of that again!
I can publicly thank Wildcrow for snagging me a tin of it somewhere recently !!! [ Thank You , Sir ] .. Yes , its the latakia blend and it was so wonderful its scary . I think they may still make it for th European market because I looked at their website the other day and both it and teh new lat blends are listed

I think , sadly , that it didnt go over well in the American market because of its name . It had only a touch of Latakia in it but it was called Latakia blend ,,, so , I believe many purchased it thinking it was gonna be an up front lat blend , which it isnt . They gave it that name because , of all their spun disc blends , it was the only one to contain any Latakia .

If theyd have named it Tanked out Turtle with a cute cartoon of a drunk turtle on the tin ...... it would have been on backorder for years because of its popularity . Heck , if they would have just named it anything else , it would have been a popular blend for them . It was/is by far , their best disc blend , inho
Damn, now I want some!
This post by David M liked by:
Ruffinogold
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 pm

David M wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 3:02 pm
Ruffinogold wrote:
David M wrote:

Damn, now I want some!
Tell ya what , The next one I pop , I"ll send you some to try . When I pop it , Ill make a thread of it , so just remind me to shoot you out some
David M
Founding Member

Mon May 14, 2018 9:46 pm

That's very kind of you. I can't wait!
Ruffinogold
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mon May 14, 2018 10:12 pm

David M wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:46 pm
That's very kind of you. I can't wait!
Just dont fall in love or get used to it ..... its such a drag that this one is gone . For Christmass , my wife would buy a roll of tin of that [ a 5 pack ] . It was the best present I got every year .

MB doesnt have the most exciting tins ... but the Lat Blend excites the hell out of me
David M
Founding Member

Mon May 14, 2018 10:15 pm

You're killin' me with that picture!
Ruffinogold
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Tue May 15, 2018 8:31 pm

I think everyone should have tried Carter Hall, SWRA, and LNF. They are good and easy to find. You get a codger burley, and good aromatic and a Virginia flake with a touch of perique. Orientals and latakia are not on my must try list because I am not thinking of any quickly that are easy to find or like London Mixture are going away.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 2):
Mr BeardsleyRuffinogold
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
JBRiner

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Ruff, I bought a tin of Germain 1820 on your recommendation several years ago. I still haven’t opened it. I don’t know what I’m waiting for lol.

If I were recommending must try blends, I would point to PS LBF, Twist Flake, Navy Flake, English Oriental Supreme and Proper English. I have smoked pounds of those baccys and cannot recommend them enough! And they are cheap and readily available.
This post by JBRiner liked by:
Kevin Keith
Adwyth
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:06 am

Another that I had recently and of course is not available is McConnells lat flake . It's sublime , truly

@David M ... I still remember you when I pop the MB lat disc
This post by Ruffinogold liked by:
David M