Match Tobacco

BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Morning there fellas I've a question on match tobacco. Specifically matches for now defunct American OTC blends--Walnut, Sugar Barrel, Kentucky Club and so on...

1st there's the H&H mid town series which is blended by Russ for Pipes and Cigars H&H line (this is a question, do I understand correctly?)

2nd there's Sutliff match tobaccos and here is where it gets a bit foggy for me. You don't buy from Sutliff so you have to go through an etailer like SP.com or whoever. I've noticed that WVsmokeshop has match Walnut and Milan tobacco has several match blends. Are they just Sutliff?

From what I can tell there's 2 choices--H&H Midtown or Sutliff with ERR being the exception with Lane/Sutliff match

Thanks
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Yeah, really you have two choices for match tobaccos. The Mid-Town stuff that concentrates on Middleton matches and Sutliff/Altadis that does a lot more. I wouldn't call Lane a match but a reintroduction of ERR since they own the original ERR recipe (supposedly) but not the ERR name. How they got one without the other, I dunno.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Milan also makes some of their own matches. I haven't found any of the matches to be on target, despite that I've liked many on their own merits. I've read tobaccoreviews extensively on the subject of Sugar Barrel, and the consensus is that no match gets it right. On the subject of Kentucky Club matches, Milan has one that is way off the mark but not a bad Burley anyway. And the KC semi aro, I think Derby Club is good enough I bought like 6 tubs of it, but I never smoked the original.

I think H&H sources some of their component tobacco from Sutliff. Their Burley sure tastes like it.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Many of Bob Runowski's blends for C&D were unnamed matches. I don't think of any of them as a particularly good match, but on their own merits many are keepers for sure.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Thanks KK, I never got a chance to smoke the OTCs not in production anymore. Walnut, Sugar Barrel and Kentucky Club have my attention. Did you favor any of them or others?
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Ah sisyphus thanks, 6 tubs sounds like an endorsement to me haha. Need to just take a trip to Roanoke one weekend and check out Milan.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I like all of the Mid-Town matches I have. I don't have Cherry or Sweet Cask. Chatham Manor and Prince Andrew are good but not really matches for CH pr PA. Derby Club and Chestnut are good and reasonable matches of KC and Walnut. [mention]Wildcat[/mention] can talk about Sweet Cask. I can't imagine Cherry being anything but good...I should get some but I have too much tobacco as it is.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sutliff has the best match blends , imo . I wish theyd attempt a London Dock match because everyone’s London Dock I’ve tried hads been horrible ... I'm thinking Sutliff would at least get somewhat close , maybe
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Wildcat
Codger in Training

I would be a happy pipe smokin' fool if all I had was Middleton's Sugar Barrel, Cherry Blend, Walnut, and Kentucky Club. Broke my heart when they went the way of the 8-track.

My take on match blends I've tried;

Mid-Town Chestnut: 99.9% Ivory Soap pure, spot on match for Walnut. Happy cat.

Mid-Town Cherry: I suspect it's nothing more than Sutliff Cherry Blend match, so I haven't bothered trying it, though I should. The Sutliff match is very good. Not exact, but close enough. The cut is different for sure.

Mid-Town Derby Club: Never had the original, but this is a very good smoke. Just can't say if it's a match or not.

Mid-Town Sugar Cask: A mix of foul smelling diabetic goat entrails and syphylitic horse manure. Definitely not a match for Sugar Barrel. Please excuse me for a moment while I cry... I wanted this one to be a match in the worst way.

Daughters and Ryan London Dock: I never had the original Middleton's blend, but heard so much about it that I wanted to try and hoped I would like this. I didn't. After a few bowls, it made me physically ill. Tried it again after a time and the same thing. I didn't get sick per say, but my stomach did a backflip. It wasn't vitamin N either.

I wish, I wish there were matches for Sugar Barrel and Kentucky Club Regular/Blue. I'm gonna cry again...
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom