Velvet Pipe & Cigarette tobaco

S0l4N

Found this can of tobacco at an antique store.
No idea what year is this (i'm guessing at least 1950's or earlier), there is tobacco inside but it is unusable.

I though somebody might know a bit about this and post.[/size]
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

S0l4N wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:22 pm Found this can of tobacco at an antique store.
No idea what year is this (i'm guessing at least 1950's or earlier), there is tobacco inside but it is unusable.

I though somebody might know a bit about this and post.[/size]
Welcome to PSF. 👍🏻
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Glad you are here! I don't have any insight on the tin of Velvet, but someone might.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Middle Earth

Greetings and Salutations from the Springfield Plateau
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Welcome from Ky. I'll take a wild guess on the tin, and its just a guess mind you. Velvet has been around for a long time. I would say the tin is from the 1940''s or early 1950's at the latest. That tobacco could possibly be rehydrated and smoked if you have a mind to. I think I saw some writing on the paper wrapper?? If there is it could be a pipe offer. It could give an idea of the age according to what kind of pipe it is and the price.
S0l4N

Thank you for the welcoming !
I am a lone wolf pipe smoker and I live around Seattle area, for now.

Lostdog5152, you have sharp eyes ! there is a writing on the inner paper !

I took the pouch out slowly, a lot of rust inside and the tobacco smells like a ton of mold ... don't think it can be recovered.

Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I was off quite a bit on my very uneducated guess. The address on the pipe offer has a ZIP code. We didn't start using ZIP codes until 1963. Prince Albert had went from this type tin to a more conventional flip top tin long before this. I know because I usually had a tin of PA in my shirt pocket at about this time. I smoked it in my pipe and rolled cigarettes from it. Fed some to my dinosaur on occasion.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Lostdog5152 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:58 am I I smoked it in my pipe and rolled cigarettes from it. Fed some to my dinosaur on occasion.
Lol !

I havent figured out Velvet tins . As lostdog said , its been around a very long time [ like 1900 or so ] and they had different graphics from time to time but I ve never found a chronological order , with pictures , of the tin changes . I think it was `1970 ish that they went to the horrible freehand [ lol ] and got away from the billiard or billiard and cigarette tin art .

id agree that the tobacco is beyond the point of smoking . The mold thing is , no doubt , an indicator and so is its brittleness . When things get so brittle , even when " brought back " , theres alot missing , especially if its been that dry for a long time .... BUT ... I love old Velvet so much I probably would try for the hell of it :lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Welcome to PSF , from Georgia :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Is Velvet the pipe tobacco that tastes like Play Doh? I always think so, but I think I like Velvet, too, which I can't say about most things. I haven't smoked a bowl of Velvet in a dog's age. That's why my memory is hazy.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.