C&D Sunday Picnic vs GLP Regent's Flake

Pipecurious

I have been trying to compare descriptions and reviews at TR and can't make up my mind as to whether these are fundamentally the same or not.
Has anyone tried both?
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Sunday Picnic I have had. I have not tried Regent's Flake, so I can't help with a comparison.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Man , this is one post that I couldnt help on .. but .. being theyre made by the same folks , it could be they are similar [ ? ]
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I am guessing that Sunday Picnic is Opening Night with some added Turkish. Opening Night is just ok to my tastes. The GLP one has Perique.

Here's my $.02
C&D has a bad track record with Virginia. I've taken a chance on Small Batch Carolina Red Flake and Bijou, both which I haven't tried yet, based on user reviews. The others I've had, some not bad, mostly mediocre. The C&D/GLP Va blends have always been hamstrung by inferior Va.

Now, for excellent VaOr and VaPerOr blends, which are my personal favorites btw, here is what I like:

McClelland Matured Virginia #24
Virginia and Drama leaf. Fantastic VaOr. Sweet Va flake with a subtle sourdough twang from the Oriental.

McClelland Tudor Castle
amazing VaPerOr. Ripe with sweet and sour fruit notes. All of us McClelland fans are sorry for not putting more of this away.

sadly these recommendations are not helpful as McClelland is now gone and there is a terrible price to pay to get either of the above

HU Flanagan
a mellow VaPerOrKy. Beautiful flake, pretty soft flavor presentation. Lighter Va body with a little twang from the Oriental. The Perique and Kentucky are background players, in fact the Ky is not detectable as an individual element IMO. Great flake and worth trying.

Dan Ascanian #2
to my mind this is the best VaPerOr made, even judged against the McClelland. You can sample it in a 50g tin, and if like me you love it, you can get 250g bags. Fruity red Va with even more fruit added by the Perique, and that lovely sourdough twang from the Oriental. I bought 5 pounds of this after smoking a tin.

The last two you can get from Gerd Jansen's Pfeifendepot in Germany. Franz is excellent to work with, the prices are more than fair, and shipping is relatively quick for an international vendor. You might also look at Hearth & Home Viprati, which is a VaPerKy. I really don't get Ky from it, but it is a lovely VaPer on its own merits. Nice golden Va body and fruit from the Perique. It's definitely in my top three for VaPer type tobaccos.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Pipecurious

Thanks for the advice; I have had Bijou and I really like it but I'm far from a Virginia connoiseur. I will look at the Dan catalogue for inspiration, thanks!

I have Brunello and Tudor Castle, they are quite nice to me but... the House of Tudor is no more and I was hoping to skip the Stuarts, Cromwell and most of the Hanovers until the 4th Earl of Sandwhich or the Regency to see if a suitable replacement can be found.

In general I like Orientals>Burley>VaPer=VaBur>Virginia (Vicky is usually a mean B and bites me if left to her own devices) so I wanted to have more options in the Oriental side of things.

Besides those (Regent's Flake and Sunday Picnic) I would like to try other classes. So far I have only had Latakia in overwhelming quantites (samples from friends) and have the inkling that it might be enjoyable in smaller quantities; cigar leaf is also intriguing to me
Any experence with the following is appreciated as well...

Giubileo d'Oro - LatVa
Key Largo - CigOrLatVa
Mad Fidler - CigVaPer
Seersucker - CigOrVaBur
Dreams of Kadath - OrVaBurPer

All input is very welcome
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

In a blend with cigar leaf and latakia, I like Billy Budd. I have only had the original.

I like Orientals, and there are a few things that you might want to check out. There is Boker Or and Or Olam (both in 2 oz. tin only now). Oriental Silk and Orion's Arrow are good.

I am a fan of Big-n-Burley. It has condimental latakia, perique and Orientals. It is primarily a beefy burley blend with a big taste. Morley's Best and Epiphany also have latakia but are not "slap you in the face" latakia..

In a milder blend that is a great smoke and has some Orientals, perique and latakia, really you should try Chestnut.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017