Tastes...

JustScott

Mon May 21, 2018 6:45 am

I was posting in the Haunted Bookshop thread, and it reminded me of an observation I've had recently. I don't really taste "flavors" from my tobacco, but not because I don't "taste", it's because of the way my brain processes these things. When I first started smoking a pipe, I didn't really get much "flavor" unless it was latakia. I mean, I could taste the smoke, but I couldn't identify flavors in it. Once in a while, I have (and occasionally still do) get unmistakable "flavors" like say "baking bread" or "Oriental leaf sour burst" or "cumin" or "barn, but not in a bad way" that just sort of explode on my tongue, or I taste things that I recognize from other people's experience ("Oh, there's the leather." or "This is what they mean when they said anise."), but most of the time, my brain identifies the flavor with the type of tobacco. As in, I understand what people are talking about with "smoky, anise, woody" in dark fired Kentucky, but to me DFK tastes like DFK. I taste ODF or IF and what I taste, popping out and crying for attention first, is not "anise" or "hickory smoke", though I get the similarities, but my brain stubbornly insists, "Oh, that's DFK." I'm like, "Brain, that's all well and good, but what about the anise or hickory smoke?" And my brain is like, "Nope, none of that here. This is DFK." Am I missing something, or is this just my brain doing what it wants, regardless of my predilections? Maybe I'm overthinking. Wouldn't be the first time. Anyway, thanks for reading the wall of text, lol...
This post by JustScott liked by (total 4):
RuffinogoldThelonious monkfishPreacher1611Whalehead King
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mon May 21, 2018 6:57 am

Everyone has different taste buds. I can't taste what many of the reviewers do, but I get flavors for sure. Describing them is a challenge sometimes. Sometimes it is a matter of learning how to smoke it to get the best flavor. I found Big-n-Burley a little "muddy" when I first tried it, and it seems to benefit from more puffing than I was doing. It is just second nature now, but I DID have to think about it for a few bowls once I figured this out. Once you know what it is supposed to taste like, I think you are subconsciously "looking" for the flavor you expect, and it does not require the same intentionality.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by:
Thelonious monkfish
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
sisyphus
Site Admin

Mon May 21, 2018 8:45 am

I generally find I taste more in stuff I've never smoked before, both pipe and cigar. Maybe its an attention thing. Regardless, our palates resolve different levels of detail. Enjoy what you smoke whatever you get from it.
This post by sisyphus liked by:
Thelonious monkfish
JustScott

Tue May 22, 2018 4:55 am

And, of course, yesterday as I was smoking, I found I was actually getting quite a bit of flavor, not just on the snork but on my tongue as well. So, probably a mix of maturing palate and attention. Maybe in a couple years I'll be really "tasting". But I definitely enjoy, regardless. My pipe and my snuff have taught me how much "flavor" happens in the nose.
This post by JustScott liked by (total 2):
RuffinogoldThelonious monkfish
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Tue May 29, 2018 6:37 pm

I totally get where youre coming from

Whats funny is the catch phrases . I could write a view for a blend I never smoked using them . The descriptive catch words make sense but it makes for a boring review , imo .

example

Burley ... Earthy , woody , molasses , chocolate etc ..

Virginia ... Hay , lemon , grassy etc ..

Latakia ... dog shit , camel shit , alin shit , smokey etc ...

I mean , I get it but its old news . Id rather hear someones experience about a blend but thats just me

for fun , Ill write a review of a blend I havent had .. Ive made it no secret that I do not enjoy GLP blends .. so here goes a review of a GLP blend I've never smoked ...

GLP Montgomery ...

According to GLP ..

" Virginias, Virginias, Virginias! Several grades of wonderful flue-cured leaf, from soft yellow to deep red, are combined with just a touch of dark-fired Kentucky for a little added richness. A special process, recovered from ancient archives, provides the finishing touch to this wonderful blend. Naturally sweet, and possessing subtle complexity, Montgomery presents delightful new dimensions for the lover of sophisticated Virginia blends "

" Ancient Archives " :awesome: .. lol

Anyway , I'll use that info to write a review . Being I havnt smoked it , I dont know what the cut is . I'll assume a ready rubbed [ ?]

This predominant virginia blend has colors of brown , orange brown and some reds . The flavor screams virginia with a hint of the Kentucky making itself know but well in the background . Like most all GLP blends , there are very few highs or lows so the complexity of the blend is mild . Given its mainly Virginia makeup , if you spaz in can have a tenancy to get a bit warm on ya but youd have to push it . As has been said the Burley is in the background and presents a smoky earthy note , which is most welcomed against the virginias

How was that ^^^^ [ ? ] Was I so far off ?
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 5):
Thelonious monkfishKevin KeithWhistlebritchesPreacher1611Whalehead King
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Tue May 29, 2018 7:10 pm

Ruffinogold wrote:

Whats funny is the catch phrases . I could write a view for a blend I never smoked using them . The descriptive catch words make sense but it makes for a boring review , imo .

example

I mean , I get it but its old news . Id rather hear someones experience about a blend but thats just me

for fun , Ill write a review of a blend I havent had .. Ive made it no secret that I do not enjoy GLP blends .. so here goes a review of a GLP blend I've never smoked ...

GLP Montgomery ...

According to GLP ..

" Virginias, Virginias, Virginias! Several grades of wonderful flue-cured leaf, from soft yellow to deep red, are combined with just a touch of dark-fired Kentucky for a little added richness. A special process, recovered from ancient archives, provides the finishing touch to this wonderful blend. Naturally sweet, and possessing subtle complexity, Montgomery presents delightful new dimensions for the lover of sophisticated Virginia blends "

Anyway , I'll use that info to write a review . Being I havnt smoked it , I dont know what the cut is . I'll assume a ready rubbed [ ?]

This predominant virginia blend has colors of brown , orange brown and some reds . The flavor screams virginia with a hint of the Kentucky making itself know but well in the background . Like most all GLP blends , there are very few highs or lows so the complexity of the blend is mild . Given its mainly Virginia makeup , if you spaz in can have a tenancy to get a bit warm on ya but youd have to push it . As has been said the Burley is in the background and presents a smoky earthy note , which is most welcomed against the virginias

:clap: :clap: :king: :!: :lol: :lol: I read it's a ribbon cut by the way...hahaha
Thelonious monkfish

Tue May 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Ruffinogold wrote:

example

GLP Montgomery ...

According to GLP ..

As someone who has also not had that blend I completely agree with your detailed and accurate assessment. Spot on. I've never done an actual review but I'll try with something I know, Irish Flake. You have inspired me.

Irish Flake: A belligerent licorice dank permeates the dark flakes. It is without teeth but has legs and kicks at a steady pace. The flavor is consitently hovering between a rock and a hard place but never where the sun doesn't shine. It pulls smoother than an iron heel and requires no yolk. Thumbs up.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomRuffinogold
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Tue May 29, 2018 7:50 pm

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:19 pm
Ruffinogold wrote:

example

GLP Montgomery ...

According to GLP ..

As someone who has also not had that blend I completely agree with your detailed and accurate assessment. Spot on. I've never done an actual review but I'll try with something I know, Irish Flake. You have inspired me.

Irish Flake: A belligerent licorice dank permeates the dark flakes. It is without teeth but has legs and kicks at a steady pace. The flavor is consitently hovering between a rock and a hard place but never where the sun doesn't shine. It pulls smoother than an iron heel and requires no yolk. Thumbs up.
No that is a review !!! Image
This post by Ruffinogold liked by:
Thelonious monkfish
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
Whistlebritches

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Ruffinogold wrote:

example

GLP Montgomery ...

According to GLP ..

Well we are in full agreement on Latakia
This post by Whistlebritches liked by:
Ruffinogold
Preacher1611

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:53 am

I've really never done reviews on tobacco that I can recall... few times maybe? Not real reviews anyway. Except for C&D's Kickin' Chicken, I reviewed that. I don't always get the flavors that others talk about myself, so if I do a review I just give my thoughts on the smoke as a whole. If I did catch flavoring I'd mention it. This is the review I did for Kickin' Chicken:

Review Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
2012-09-09 ★★★★ Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Unnoticeable

I smoked this outside this morning which is why I have no room note. I like this blend a lot. I gravity fill all my pipes with the exception of my Brebbia second, so that is how I filled this pipe. I used a Missouri Meerschaum Legend to smoke this morning. I filled the pipe, tamped with my finger and then filled and tamped again with my finger then tamper. Filling this way, (for me), almost gaurantees a relight, in this case I was glad for the relight! The initial lighting and smoking was heavy on the Burley for me with just a hint of cigar leaf showing through, very robust yet smooth flavor. Burns really well throughout the smoke. Flavor was consistent all the way through till about half the bowl; that's when it went out! I'm glad it did! Upon relighting, the Virginia really popped and the cigar leaf shined! I smoke mainly Virginias so this was awesome! I'm a big fan of this tobacco on cooler days, it's just better when the weather is a bit chilly! For me this is a great Autumn morning and/or evening smoke, I can imagine it would be well during a hunting trip or even ice fishing during the winter months. Cigar smokers would probably enjoy this blend when it's a bit warmer weather because to me when it's hot this stuff tastes more like a cigar than a pipe tobacco. Fans of nicotine watch out!!! When I relit and smoked the rest of the bowl the nic jumped up and smacked me in the face with the vengeance of a woman scorned! (my girl will probably smack me for that!) I highly recomend this tobacco. If you can get your hands on some, I say do so quickly! You won't be disapointed!

1 person found this review helpful.