Yep - I'm slow!

LtPiper

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:35 pm

I left for the Air Force in July of 1986. That was the year I started smoking a pipe. I was introduced to pipes by a SMSgt that I worked for. All I ever remember him smoking was Borkum Riff, and so that's what I smoked. Sometime later I was driving through the town where I was stationed and I discovered a pipe shop. I parked the car - went inside, and a whole new world unfolded for me and that was mostly the end of me smoking over the counter blends - with the exception of Captain Black every now and then. It wasn't that I was a snob - I just liked trying all the stuff you couldn't buy in a drug store.

SO - tonight I went to pick up a few food items while the love of my life was at work and while checking out I looked passed the cashier and spied some Prince Albert on the shelf behind her. I think it was $3.65 or so and I thought, "What the heck" and asked her to throw it in my bag,

I got home and went outside to spend some time with my son and I lit the Prince up - - - :shock: NICE!! Some questions went through my mind like "Why the heck have I never tried this?", and "What's wrong with me - this brand is too well known and popular for me to have missed this?" I feel like a total bonehead.

Well, there you have it, 32 years smoking a pipe, and today I finally tried Prince Albert. You can bet it won't be the last time I smoke it either.
This post by LtPiper liked by (total 3):
avidLegionMikeDennison
"It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge the fetters." - Edmund Burke
avid

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:42 pm

many seem to suggest that even with exotic (and fantastic) blends available on the internet, and with a collection of high price pipes, one may be missing out by not including some over the counter blends that have been around forever. this certainly seems to be the case for me.
This post by avid liked by (total 3):
LtPiperLegionMikeDennison
insufferable filter guy
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:56 pm

Its tuff to beat simplicity , especially a simple burley like PA . I'm in the SWR camp but they are camps right next door to each other for sure . Complex stellar smokes are awesome but sometimes , especially in the morning , a straight ahead blend is the only way to go . I saw the new PA package the other day ... its kinda weird but I guess it will become normal after a while

This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 3):
LtPiperLegionMikeDennison
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:59 pm

That is weird.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 2):
RuffinogoldMikeDennison
avid

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:21 pm

That's right Prince Albert should be in a can.

Incidentally, does anyone have Prince Albert in a can?
This post by avid liked by (total 2):
RuffinogoldMikeDennison
insufferable filter guy
arturo7

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:24 pm

"Hello?"

"Hi! Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"

This post by arturo7 liked by (total 3):
avidRuffinogoldMikeDennison
ever forward
avid

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:26 pm

"Why yes, we do."
This post by avid liked by:
MikeDennison
insufferable filter guy
arturo7

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:31 pm

"LET HIM OUT!!!"
This post by arturo7 liked by (total 2):
avidMikeDennison
ever forward
arturo7

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:32 pm

If I had a nickle for every time I did that as a kid...

I'd have a shvtload of nickles.
This post by arturo7 liked by (total 4):
avidRuffinogoldMikeDennisonLtPiper
ever forward
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:49 pm

I smoked the Prince back in the 70's and it was OK for me then, but I did not smoke much of it. In the 80's when the supply of Sail Yellow and Amphora Red dried up, I smoked more of it. I liked Granger in the pouch more. I used to buy bags of Golden Burley from CVS or Walgreens or someplace. The thing I never tried until I had been smoking for 30+ years was Carter Hall. I know why that was though. My father did not care for CH, and I remembered that. This was one of those things where he was just missing out.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 5):
Kevin KeithavidRuffinogoldMikeDennisonLtPiper
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017