Educational Starter Pack

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Splodger wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:54 am
sisyphus wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:08 pm you definitely need a box of Prince Albert
Excellent gents. By the sound of it, most people love it. Snobbery be damned! I’ll drop in to Walgreens later and snag myself a pouch.
Here is the thing. Nuance is wasted on the people just getting started. They need something simple - not too many options. I think someone getting started either needs a briar pipe that has been broken in already and cleaned up for them OR they need a cob. Really something Like Carter Hall or PA is a perfect first tobacco. It is easy to load and keep lit. It tastes good.

Once they master the packing/smoking bit, it might be time to branch out a little.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Peacock

Splodger wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 am Good day people,

I’m fairly new to pipe smoking, and want to learn how to discern what the different tobaccos are in different blends. I really enjoy a good smoke, but I know I’ll get more pleasure from my pipe if I can try to work out for myself what I’m smoking.

I have looked for a sample package containing the most common tobaccos to try. You know, like a set of mineral rocks for kids, but to no avail. Therefore I am thinking of putting together a set for myself.

My idea is to have baseline tobaccos I.e. Virginia, Lataki, Burley etc., to get to know on an individual basis. This, of course, is made difficult by things as variable as Cavendish, but it would be a good start.

Together with those foundation tobaccos, I would like to get together good examples of styles, such as English, VaPer etc.,

I know it’s a big ask, but your help in putting this together would be a big help to me, and would perhaps be of interest to others. What baseline tobaccos would you suggest? And what do you think are good examples of styles?

Many thanks
Considering your location - I'd recommend stopping into Rich's Cigar Store on SW Alder in downtown Portland. Not only can you smoke inside, it's one of the only places in the state that blends their own tobacco and has a relatively large selection of both bulk tobacco - you can smoke a pipeful for 75 cents - and pipes. They have some excellent house blends and are very willing to help new pipers!
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein