Favorite English

User avatar
Splodger
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:06 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:19 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 pm
Splodger wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:11 pm


Is the frog deceased?
It croaked.
Hooting with laughter!
This post by Splodger liked by:
Fr_Tom
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
User avatar
Splodger
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:06 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Splodger wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:19 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 pm
Splodger wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:11 pm


Is the frog deceased?
It croaked.
Hooting with laughter!
I don't understand it. Why would McClelland discontinue such a successful brand. This post https://www.smokingpipes.com/ ... ish-blends on the Smoking Pipes blog shows it to be the fifth most popular english blend.
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
User avatar
slowroll
Founding Member
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:17 am

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:37 pm

My favorites are C&D Engine 99, Star of the East flake, Arango Balkan Supreme, and HH vintage Syrian. Couple others are runners-up. GH Balkan is good, but IMO, the above have it by a nose.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
User avatar
Splodger
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:06 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Splodger wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:33 pm
Splodger wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:19 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 pm


It croaked.
Hooting with laughter!
I don't understand it. Why would McClelland discontinue such a successful brand. This post https://www.smokingpipes.com/ ... ish-blends on the Smoking Pipes blog shows it to be the fifth most popular english blend.
I just did a little research. How very sad for the whole industry. No doubt this has been discussed at length on this and every pipe smoking forum, but I am only now aware.
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 926
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:38 pm

I hear a lot of good chatter about Stokkebye English oriental supreme. Haven't had it myself but I'm betting some of the folks here can comment on it

My personal favorite is rattray's red rapparee
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 2):
houtenzielFr_Tom
May contain lead paint
User avatar
houtenziel
Active Member
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:38 pm
I hear a lot of good chatter about Stokkebye English oriental supreme. Haven't had it myself but I'm betting some of the folks here can comment on it

My personal favorite is rattray's red rapparee
I smoke EOS often. It's a nice mellow all-day sort of English. It's got some burley in there too, which I like, but may put some purists off. For those types, there is always "Proper English".
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 2):
Mr BeardsleyFr_Tom
I like big buttons and I can not lie.
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 926
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:25 pm

houtenziel wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:14 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:38 pm
I hear a lot of good chatter about Stokkebye English oriental supreme. Haven't had it myself but I'm betting some of the folks here can comment on it

My personal favorite is rattray's red rapparee
I smoke EOS often. It's a nice mellow all-day sort of English. It's got some burley in there too, which I like, but may put some purists off. For those types, there is always "Proper English".
Thanks for that info. I see what you mean about burley possibly being a turn off for a purist but it sounds right up my alley
May contain lead paint
User avatar
slowroll
Founding Member
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:17 am

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 pm

The PS EOS is good, but I personally think Arango Balkan Supreme is more like an old Balkan (think Balkan Sobranie).
This post by slowroll liked by:
Mr Beardsley
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
JBRiner
Active Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:14 pm

I really enjoy all of PS’s offerings. Proper English is just plain good. English Oriental Supreme is also in my cellar.

My hands down favorite classic English blend is Margate.

When I am craving a boatload of Latakia, I load up Pirate Kake.
This post by JBRiner liked by (total 2):
Mr Beardsleyhoutenziel
Adwyth
User avatar
sisyphus
Site Admin
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:44 am
Location: Red Oak, IA

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:38 am

Splodger wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:43 pm

I just did a little research. How very sad for the whole industry. No doubt this has been discussed at length on this and every pipe smoking forum, but I am only now aware.
we knew it was coming and still hard to deal with. I bet I spent two or three thousand bucks buying McClelland tobacco I probably don't even need there at the end. Better to have it and never need it than for it to not be there if you want it. If you love Virginia tobacco, it's a tragedy. We'll never see leaf that quality again. Well I will, but most of you guys won't ;)
This post by sisyphus liked by (total 2):
houtenzielMr Beardsley
Post Reply