https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by ... _id=213755
Thumbs up on this one. It is very good.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
leacha
Founding Member

oldbill wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 pm
houtenziel wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:27 pm
oldbill wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:18 pm Yeah I've seen English blends that had Orientals in the mix. It seems to me that Balkan blends are simply English or perhaps Scottish blends that are just more Oriental forward. :D
My solution to this conundrum is to just call them Latakia Blends when they are more Latakia forward. When they are Oriental forward, Oriental blends. It's not uncommon at all to hear about Burley or Virginia blends in the same context, and using the same classification method just sort of makes sense to me. The English don't get to claim the credit for such a wide swath of blends.. :D
Sounds good to me, the lines have been so blurred when it comes to these things that it gets confusing to people. Of course one immediate problem is that a Latakia forward blend is in actuality an Oriental forward blend because Latakia is simply an Oriental that has been smoked. :facepalm: LOL!
My solution as well only because I separate my pipes (actually my Falcon bowls) based on the blends. I group them as Aromatics, Burley, Latakia, Straight Virginia's and VaPers.

Right now, tastes and times change, my favorite "English" blends are Drucquer & Sons Inns of Court, Prince's Blend and Red Lion.

They all consist of the same components but diffrent proportions create the individual blends so all three are worth having on hand.

PS
I've noticed a huge similarity of the cuts and even tastes of these to D&R blends. Is C&D outsourcing?
Andrew Image
BriarPipeNYC

Wilke's classic, English...... 'HIGH HAT" Been around and smoked since the 1870s. Unique blending of premium tobaccos, and fantastic, pleasant aroma. No burnt hair and feather stench, either.
IMpipedude
Founding Member

Rattray's Red Rapparee and Black Mallory for me.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I really dig 965.

Since I've been on a low nic thing, I haven't touched my jar in about a year.

Yesterday, I busted it out.

Only 2/3 of a bowl but it was glorious.

I may need to break down and get one of those small-bowled pipes that I hate so much.
ever forward
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

arturo7 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:51 pm I really dig 965.

Since I've been on a low nic thing, I haven't touched my jar in about a year.

Yesterday, I busted it out.

Only 2/3 of a bowl but it was glorious.

I may need to break down and get one of those small-bowled pipes that I hate so much.
If you haven't tried it, the Sutliff 965 Match is pretty good. Close enough to the real thing that It fools me(maybe just a touch sweeter?), and the nic hit is lower.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:14 pm
If you haven't tried it, the Sutliff 965 Match is pretty good. Close enough to the real thing that It fools me(maybe just a touch sweeter?), and the nic hit is lower.
Thanks, H! I'll add it to my wish l list!

EDIT: I assume you are referring to Match 20?
ever forward
CoreyR
Founding Member

Since the demise of my beloved McC and my beloved Frog Mortons', I am left with my equally beloved Presbyterians' Mixture. It can be somewhat hard to get my paws on but I love it.
Middle Earth

Low Country Cooper works for me