Nightcap replacement

Matt7082

I just finished off the last bit of Dunhill Nightcap that I had. Now that the Dunhill blends are gone, what is a good replacement? I’m looking for a stout smoke with the same cut.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Sutliff has a Nightcap match blend which might be a good start. It's not the exact same Dunhill ribbon cut though.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:28 am Sutliff has a Nightcap match blend which might be a good start. It's not the exact same Dunhill ribbon cut though.
Dead On! It's quite coarse by comparison but it is a pretty good flavored English. I added a little more Perique to it to get it closer to Nightcap in vitamin N and in flavor as well. ;)
I use this Perique from P&C, it's granulated and it mixes in very well. :)
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/blendi ... #p-2007823
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

The cut on pretty much all of Sutliff's non-aro blends have been the same in my experience, and oldbill is right - it's a coarse ribbon. I also have found it to be pretty stemmy, particularly in respect to the Latakia content. While this can be annoying, I've accepted that the work in de-stemming each pipe full is worth the time for the flavor and smoking qualities.

To give you an idea of cut, here is some of my 965 Match. It is a good representation of what you can expect with pretty much any Sutliff match.

Also, while I generally avoid making any recommendations on blends I haven't personally tried, Ashton Artisan's Blend has been likened to Nightcap by so many people that I feel like I should mention it.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
slowroll
Founding Member

After trying a match from P&C, and other blends allegedly close, I find C&D Engine 99 the most satisfying. It's now my go to lat blend.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Matt7082

Thanks for the recommendations! Weird, but I have sampled over a dozen Sutliff smokes (aro’s and non-aro’s)...never had one that I liked. After reading a couple of Engine 99 reviews, I think I’ll just go ahead and order a half pound. It sounds delicious.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

If big & bold is what you're looking for, Engine 99 will definitely fit the bill. It's really quite good, been a while since I've had any
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
steamboat

Give Rattray's Black Mallory a go. It substitutes the Perique in Nightcap with Black Cav, but its full flavored, with an identical nicotine hit. Again, i hate recommending stuff that can be a challenge to find, but if you find a tin of Black Mallory, i am sure you will like it, if you like nightcap.