Perique and DFK

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Here is a question.

Perique and DFK seem to work very well together. A few examples that I like and available in tin only are GLP Cumberland, GLP Triple Play and C&D Five o'Clock Shadow.

Why are there so few bulk blends that contain these two?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Right there with you on this one!
I guess we are just short of trying to blend something for ourselves as there is not much available to choose from

:lurk:
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Maybe because Perique is limited in supply and tinning' is the more profitable way to go.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:55 am Maybe because Perique is limited in supply and tinning' is the more profitable way to go.
There are plenty of VaPers out there in bulk.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:55 am Maybe because Perique is limited in supply and tinning' is the more profitable way to go.
There are plenty of VaPers out there in bulk.
But not enough to go around for DFK/Pers.? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. :?:
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I was wondering why this sub-genre of blend is only available in tin and is not popular enough to produce and sell in bulk. It would seem as if it would have enough of a following. It seems a little underrepresented.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I did a quick search on TR for blends that only included Va/Per/DFK and were available in bulk packaging. There is a total of one blend that is actually obtainable in the US, and it's Watch City Flake #558. It seems that you've found a big gap in the market. Economically speaking, the question then is - is it because none have thought to capitalize on a bulk offering in this area, or is it because there isn't really a large enough market for this type of blend to sell well and offset the lower price in bulk packaging?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I wish I had an answer but my guess work only leads me to think cost. If they aren't selling enough in tins they are using the components to make other stuff. Perhaps a well executed picture could start a trend .
The Troll Whisperer
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Kentucky is delicious, but like Latakia it overwhelms a blend in even small amounts. When it works it really works.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
slowroll
Founding Member

Interesting that you bring this up, Fr_Tom. I was recently thinking that I ought to try mixing up a blend of HH ODF and perique to see how it is. Since they both tend to be pretty moist as recieved a little pressing then some drying out seems a good approach.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created