Perique and DFK

houtenziel

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:55 am

Kevin Keith wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:50 pm
Ruffinogold wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 pm
DFK is the new cool . They'll make more off of it in tined varieties would be my guess as well .
I'll just stick with the Parodi cigars!
Speaking of DFK cigars, anybody tried the Red Lion Cheroots? I've had my eye on them.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomKevin KeithMikeDennison
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:19 am

houtenziel wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:55 am
Kevin Keith wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:50 pm
Ruffinogold wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 pm
DFK is the new cool . They'll make more off of it in tined varieties would be my guess as well .
I'll just stick with the Parodi cigars!
Speaking of DFK cigars, anybody tried the Red Lion Cheroots? I've had my eye on them.
I haven't ever bought/smoked them, but I remember that one guy in the previous incarnation of our WMMCAYST™ thread did. The review wasn't great. I remember loose rolls, underfilling, and bad taste being reported. This was a couple of years ago at least. They might be better now or he might have just gotten a bad box.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 3):
houtenzielMikeDennisonFr_Tom
steamboat

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:35 pm

McConnells Scotish Cake is the king in my opinion of the DFK/Perique combo thing going. If you have never tried that i would highly recommend a tin of it. Some people's pallets would put Scotish Cake into the vaper category. I get very little Virgnia in it, and mostly taste DFK with fruity Perique, not the spicy type.
This post by steamboat liked by:
Fr_Tom
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:48 pm

steamboat wrote:
McConnells Scotish Cake is the king in my opinion of the DFK/Perique combo thing going. If you have never tried that i would highly recommend a tin of it. Some people's pallets would put Scotish Cake into the vaper category. I get very little Virgnia in it, and mostly taste DFK with fruity Perique, not the spicy type.
This is one I need to try. The hazard of something like this is if I decide it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I will be reluctant to actually buy much of it due to the price point and my cheap nature.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 2):
steamboathoutenziel
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
steamboat

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
steamboat wrote:
This is one I need to try. The hazard of something like this is if I decide it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I will be reluctant to actually buy much of it due to the price point and my cheap nature.
Its not even so much the price. The blend falls into the availability fiasco. I absolutely hate recommending it to people for that matter. If it was usually in stock, i would recommend the blend a hell of a lot more. From the past 4 years, the pattern seems, that it gets dropped twice a year, once usually in Feb, then again in September. Total non sense.
This post by steamboat liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomMr Beardsley
slowroll
Founding Member

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Well, I'm 2 weeks in on a light pressing of HH ODF RR and perique, think I'll try it tomorrow.
This post by slowroll liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomrekamepipMr Beardsley
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
steamboat

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:01 pm

slowroll wrote:
Well, I'm 2 weeks in on a light pressing of HH ODF RR and perique, think I'll try it tomorrow.
That's going to be amazing! What blending perique did you use?
This post by steamboat liked by (total 2):
Fr_Tomrekamepip
slowroll
Founding Member

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:05 pm

C&D granulated. I've also mixed it with HH Vintage Syrian, which is really great.
This post by slowroll liked by (total 2):
Fr_Tomsteamboat
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:17 pm

steamboat wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:55 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
steamboat wrote:
Its not even so much the price. The blend falls into the availability fiasco. I absolutely hate recommending it to people for that matter. If it was usually in stock, i would recommend the blend a hell of a lot more. From the past 4 years, the pattern seems, that it gets dropped twice a year, once usually in Feb, then again in September. Total non sense.
Another issue...
This post by Fr_Tom liked by:
steamboat
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
rekamepip

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:18 pm

slowroll wrote:
we expect a full report here tomorrow

:lurk:
This post by rekamepip liked by:
Islayphile