Perique and DFK

oldbill
Member in Good Standing

sisyphus wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:05 am Kentucky is delicious, but like Latakia it overwhelms a blend in even small amounts. When it works it really works.
I agree with this. Sometimes I want a good dose of Latakia or DFK but usually I like a more complexed blend and I enjoy tasting other tobacco components as well. This is a blend that I put together from P&C's blending tobacco page and after a few tweaks here and there I've found a concoction that smokes cool and smooth but also is quite bold and spicy. There is about 10% each of latakia and DFK (which gives it a more toned down smokiness) as well as 10% Perique in this blend which is accompanied by a good dose of Turkish Orientals, Dark Burley and some Virginia, then smoothed out with some Green River Cavendish which isn't topped with anything that masks the flavor of the tobacco but adds a subtle sweetness to what would be a rather strong blend without it. I call it Oldbill's "Appalachian Blend" in honor of my Scotch/Irish heritage and here's the recipe in case anyone would like to give it a try or mess with it to make something that is more to his or her taste. This blend is rather high in vitamin N and even with the Cavendish it still packs a LOT of flavor. :D
"Old Bill's Appalachian Blend"
20% Lane Limited Virginia
10% Blending Dark Burley
20% Blending Green River Black Cavendish
10% Blending Latakia
10% Blending Granulated Perique
20% Blending Turkish Ribbon Cut
10% Blending Dark Fired Kentucky
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

slowroll wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:29 am Interesting that you bring this up, Fr_Tom. I was recently thinking that I ought to try mixing up a blend of HH ODF and perique to see how it is. Since they both tend to be pretty moist as recieved a little pressing then some drying out seems a good approach.
I got some blending perique and DFK but they seem pretty bland when smoked straight. I was hoping I could use them to perk things up.

I will be interested to know how this works out.

My wife got me a tin of Burley Flake #1 for my birthday. It was quite good and from the perique and DFK camp.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:37 pm ...
I got some blending perique and DFK but they seem pretty bland when smoked straight.
This has always been one of the mysteries of blending for me. I bought a bunch of component tobaccos a few years after I started on the pipe. I got a variety of Oriental, Latakia, DFK, Perique, and an assortment of blending Virginia and Burley in every shade of the earth toned rainbow. I was surprised at how mellow and without body tobaccos like Latakia/DFK were when I smoked them straight in a small clay, but how intense some of the Virginias and even the Orientals were(which are generally regarded as more delicate).
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:15 am I did a quick search on TR for blends that only included Va/Per/DFK and were available in bulk packaging. There is a total of one blend that is actually obtainable in the US, and it's Watch City Flake #558. It seems that you've found a big gap in the market. Economically speaking, the question then is - is it because none have thought to capitalize on a bulk offering in this area, or is it because there isn't really a large enough market for this type of blend to sell well and offset the lower price in bulk packaging?
I'm absolutely OK with 558 being the tobacco to fill that spot in the lineup
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Here is a link to TR search for blends containing Kentucky and Perique http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?Co ... %2CPerique

You're correct that there are very few available in bulk that are VA / dfk / perique / burley type blends. If you don't mind tossing some lat into the mix a few more options surface. I noticed that one of my favorites, c&d speakeasy is on the list but It never really clicked with me that it was a VaPer DFK combo until now
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
slowroll
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:37 pm
slowroll wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:29 am Interesting that you bring this up, Fr_Tom. I was recently thinking that I ought to try mixing up a blend of HH ODF and perique to see how it is. Since they both tend to be pretty moist as recieved a little pressing then some drying out seems a good approach.
I got some blending perique and DFK but they seem pretty bland when smoked straight. I was hoping I could use them to perk things up.

I will be interested to know how this works out.

My wife got me a tin of Burley Flake #1 for my birthday. It was quite good and from the perique and DFK camp.

I noticed that the blending DFK I've tried is nothing like the DFK in ODF or some of the Gawith blends. The granulated perique seems pretty good though. This is why I figured the thing to do is start with ODF.

Let ya know in a couple weeks how it Turns out. BTW, I have a bunch of HH Vintage Syrian that I mixed 15% perique into, and it's great.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

DFK is the new cool . They'll make more off of it in tined varieties would be my guess as well .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 pm DFK is the new cool . They'll make more off of it in tined varieties would be my guess as well .
I'll just stick with the Parodi cigars!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:50 pm

:thumbs:
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:50 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 pm DFK is the new cool . They'll make more off of it in tined varieties would be my guess as well .
It is hard to go wrong with a Parodi.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017