Burley Blends revisited

Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:34 pm

whitebriar wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:21 pm
Ray Mackessy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:01 pm
C&D burley blends can be rather so so when their fresh. Most say their a little harsh, but not to my taste. After they sit for a few months they open up taste wise. C&D makes the best burley blends there are IMO. Try Pegasus for a tasteful blend.
Ray
is Pegasus soapy like the old Bond Street??
I detect no soap taste in Pegasus. In fact, I've smoked the old Bond Street and didn't detect any soap taste in that either. May just be a difference in tastes between me and you.
This post by Ray Mackessy liked by:
whitebriar
whitebriar

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:12 pm

OK sir--just wondering---it's been so long since i smoked bond street, i may actually be confusing it with something else--i remember london dock and bond street and one of them was a bit iffy <<grin>>
This post by whitebriar liked by:
Fr_Tom
whitebriar

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 pm

after several months and an attitude adjustment on my part, i have finally come to terms with what i refer to as the new OLD JOE KRANTZ--i guess it is what it is--cut is different and the dark burlies are no longer there--it's much milder and even the perique seems adjusted downward--no longer get the nasal hairs singed---but having said that, it is growing on me--i'm beginning to like it, altho BnB has taken over number one spot on my list---

i saw somewhere that a person referred to the new stuff as an OTC type, BUT it is the like best OTC you've ever smoked--i can live with that--
This post by whitebriar liked by (total 2):
Mr BeardsleyFr_Tom
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:40 am

whitebriar wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 pm
after several months and an attitude adjustment on my part, i have finally come to terms with what i refer to as the new OLD JOE KRANTZ--i guess it is what it is--cut is different and the dark burlies are no longer there--it's much milder and even the perique seems adjusted downward--no longer get the nasal hairs singed---but having said that, it is growing on me--i'm beginning to like it, altho BnB has taken over number one spot on my list---

i saw somewhere that a person referred to the new stuff as an OTC type, BUT it is the like best OTC you've ever smoked--i can live with that--
Perhaps OJK has had an attitude adjustment. He is a kinder, gentler OJK?

I will say that Big-n-Burley is open now and OJK is languishing waiting for the fullness of time. I smoked some of the "old cut" OJK back-to-back with some of the new, and I pronounced them the same in terms of taste. You might be right though. I do know that I edited my Big-n-Burley review in January of 2018 to say that in terms of strength, it maybe had the edge on OJK. That was not the original assessment.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 2):
Mr Beardsleywhitebriar
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
whitebriar

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 pm

yeah Father Tom--
i blv BnB has the edge--i will say my 7 yr old OJK has mellowed a bit--i think you may be right about Old Joe's attitude adjustment--he used to be a rough customer--the new stuff is still good, after i got over the disappointment<<grin>>also been smokin' some Bayou Night--it has undergone some 'changes' also, but it's flavor still remains pretty decent--and there is still noticable perique which is good--that's the thing i hated about the new version of OJK--waaaaay less perique, or at least that's what i found--
for a change of pace tonight i had some of the golden triangle 'st. vacherie'---nothin' on my short list is in any danger from that--
This post by whitebriar liked by:
Fr_Tom