Big Flavor, Low Nicotine Blends

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

As much as I hate to admit it, I am a lightweight. I am sure there are others out there not willing to admit it, so I thought this was a good topic.
Even today after my bowl of Amsterdam, I found myself feeling nauseated, slurpin' down fruit juice and raiding my wife's chocolate stash to fend off the OD. Some days I have the constitution to smoke the heavy stuff, other days not so much. Not sure why, but I don't seem to be able to build up much of a tolerance.. hence my proclivity toward easy going codger Burley and all-day Englishes.

This kinda had me thinking about trying to construct a list of some of the milder stuff(nicotine wise) in each category, but that still had full bodied flavor of the stronger blends. PA, CH, and John Bull are great, but I wouldn't necessarily call them full bodied, so that's not exactly what I am looking for.

Here are a few that I've found to be rich/full flavored in each area, but are less likely to overwhelm the pansies out there like me. Hopefully you guys can add to it, as I am sure there are a lot of blends out there I haven't tried.

Burley Based:
Amphora Original
Mac Baren Golden Extra
Mac Baren Navy Flake

Virginia forward/Other
Mac Baren Dark Twist (this one I found a little stronger, but not overwhelming by any means)

Latakia Blends(English/Balkan):
Peterson Wild Atlantic
Comoy's Cask #11
Mac Baren Vintage Syrian
Robert McConnell Oriental
PS/Arango Balkan Supreme
SG Commonwealth(I found this to be mild, others find it to be stronger)

Virginia/Perique:
Orlik Golden Sliced
PS Luxury Navy Flake
Murray's Cunningham

Straight Virginia:
F&T Cut Virginia Plug
Amphora Virginia
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Middle Earth

HH Latikia Flake
Not a Lat or N bomb
A flavor bomb
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I'm immune to nicotine for the most part . im jaded . its difficult for me to think of high flavor low nic blends . my first thought is aromatics . in general , the aromatics that are steamed Cavendish are about as nicotine less as latakia or even less nic ( probably ? ) .
Maybe you dont do aromatics ? . some have a full flavoring and basically squat for nicotine . some have the flavoring and a heavier mouth feel , which I find awesome . man , the tinned McClelland aros , like Easy Street , we're off the chart excellent.
Anywsy , if you do aromatics , I'll be glad to write a good list of ones that have fuller flavoring that arent disgusting
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:48 pm I'm immune to nicotine for the most part . im jaded . its difficult for me to think of high flavor low nic blends . my first thought is aromatics . in general , the aromatics that are steamed Cavendish are about as nicotine less as latakia or even less nic ( probably ? ) .
Maybe you dont do aromatics ? . some have a full flavoring and basically squat for nicotine . some have the flavoring and a heavier mouth feel , which I find awesome . man , the tinned McClelland aros , like Easy Street , we're off the chart excellent.
Anywsy , if you do aromatics , I'll be glad to write a good list of ones that have fuller flavoring that arent disgusting
I personally don't smoke a lot of aromatics, but being that my intention was more a list for posterity - new smokers appreciate this sort of info a lot - I would say yes, absolutely do post it.
I love these kinds of threads because without fail, I always find a gem somewhere in there that I hadn't even thought about. Or even a blend I had considered, but when you get to draw on the experience of someone who's actually smoked it, it's easier to be convinced to pull the trigger. Also, there is a high nic/good flavor thread, so I thought maybe the nicotine challenged should have some input too :D
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I'll add Hamborger Veermaster to your straight va list.
The Troll Whisperer
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

I've always smoked such heavy blends that many of the low nicotine blends just don't have the flavor that I'm after. Before I started blending my own I was smoking Dunhill Nightcap and Elizabethan pretty regularly and now the blends that I make are every bit as stout as they were with lots of Perique, Dark Burleys and Dark Fired Kentucky in them.
I recently however got some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake that is listed as medium in strength but I think that it's a little more low to medium but is pretty good in flavor, especially if you like Perique. The Perique itself is high in nicotine but it's countered by the Virginias and the Cavendish making it a smooth but pretty flavorful smoke with a little less kick. I guess another thing that a person could do is to just add some blending Virginias or some Cavendish to tone down a blend that he already has but is too potent. :)
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:59 pm I'll add Hamborger Veermaster to your straight va list.
Thanks for this suggestion. I am always looking for a Virginia to put in my rotation, and this I haven't tried. I scanned some of the reviews and it seems like something I might actually like. Gonna have to grab a tin. :thumbs:
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:07 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:59 pm I'll add Hamborger Veermaster to your straight va list.
Thanks for this suggestion. I am always looking for a Virginia to put in my rotation, and this I haven't tried. I scanned some of the reviews and it seems like something I might actually like. Gonna have to grab a tin. :thumbs:
They also sell it in factory bags! Good deal...
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:10 am
Looks like it's currently MIA along with G&H. I will have to add that one to the in-stock daily check. :cry:
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:10 am

Looks like it's currently MIA along with G&H. I will have to add that one to the in-stock daily check. :cry:
Unbelievable!
The Troll Whisperer