Gaslight help please

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Bullwinkle wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:24 pm You do not want to smoke peeled off layers.
Maybe, but somewhere someone does. As long as they enjoy it they're doing it right.
Middle Earth

I fully rub out all plugs, kakes, and flakes
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I like to slice plugs very thin and then rub out the flakes. I hear the calls for a small bowl, but I find success with it in a pot (predictably enough).
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
unregistered1

Gaslight is a very dark tobacco so it will always burn slower than lighter coloured tobacco.
So it's preferable to slice it thin but not too much; otherwise you will lose a lot of its flavors.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
Bullwinkle

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 am
Bullwinkle wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:24 pm You do not want to smoke peeled off layers.
Maybe, but somewhere someone does. As long as they enjoy it they're doing it right.
More power to them but they aren't smoking anything close to Gaslight.
Mikeb717

Getting in on this a bit late,Gaslight is my all time favorite tobacco,like Islay said a small bowl briar is best imo too,I shave mine across grain and lightly rub it out and drop it in bowl without packing it,then I will give it a light tap with the pad of my thumb to give it a slight pack,then smoke it slow and enjoy,I might add that I do smoke it in a bigger Peterson Dracula from time to time but have to take my time or I will get the wobblies :lol:
As stubborn as a Missouri Mule
Grettman

Okay follow-up question:

What exactly does rub out mean?

I assume it means to use your fingers and rub the tobacco until small flakes are left... do I have this right?

Any advice on run out?
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Grettman wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm Okay follow-up question:

I assume it means to use your fingers and rub the tobacco until small flakes are left... do I have this right?

Any advice on run out?
I will just take the chunk I cut and sort of wad it up in the palm of my hand. I rub the 'baccy-wad in a circular motion and let the bits fall out between my hands on to some sort of plate or mat.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
avid

Grettman wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm Okay follow-up question:

Any advice on run out?
depends
Definition of rub out. transitive verb. 1 : to obliterate by or as if by rubbing. 2. : to destroy completely; specifically. : kill, murder. somebody rubbed him out … with a twenty-two.
insufferable filter guy
Grettman

:mrgreen: In this context I will assume option #1 !