Reconciling Risk v Reward of Piping

Peacock

Apologies if this is taboo, but since I picked up my pipes again after a 9 year hiatus I'm wondering how everyone reconciles the opposing forces of the pleasure of pipe smoking and inherent risk.

Is it more of "eff it - you only live once" mantra or "I'm aware of the risks and choose to smoke anyway" or maybe "ignorance is bliss"?

Asking because since picking my pipes up again I've bought at least six new pipes and over two pounds of tobacco and I'm in love...
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

I smoke because I'm an asshole

Edit: I'm being censored!
John

I think that the relaxation is worth the risk. I am constantly on the go and when I smoke, everything comes to a stop and I just enjoy the moment. That has to be beneficial to my health.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Everything in life is a risk. Smoking is one I thoroughly enjoy. So I write it off to "you only die once"
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Everything we do could be thought of in terms of cost-vs-benefit. Risk is part of the cost side. Some people don't fly in airplanes or climb ladders. For some people, motorcycling is worth the benefit. One of the more complex ones is marriage. There is more than a little risk of being hurt in a relationship. If you were so inclined, you could look at the question of faith from the cold analysis of plus/minus columns on a piece of paper.

Things are complicated.

At the end of the day, we make our own decisions. There are social and legal structures in place to encourage/discourage, and all that has to be factored in.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I don't worry about it.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Maynard

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:50 am Everything we do could be thought of in terms of cost-vs-benefit. Risk is part of the cost side. Some people don't fly in airplanes or climb ladders. For some people, motorcycling is worth the benefit. One of the more complex ones is marriage. There is more than a little risk of being hurt in a relationship. If you were so inclined, you could look at the question of faith from the cold analysis of plus/minus columns on a piece of paper.

Things are complicated.

At the end of the day, we make our own decisions. There are social and legal structures in place to encourage/discourage, and all that has to be factored in.
Excellent post sir.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

eating processed foods is a far greater carcinogen than pipe smoking. I feel that pipe smoking is the most benign of all forms of tobacco use, along with snus. You're not inhaling, it produces nowhere near the volume of smoke that cigars do, it has zero impact on your respiratory health. You could go your whole life tobacco free and still get diagnosed with cancer....I am not going to give pipe smoking a second thought.

Besides, I've watched family members make it into their 90s. I'm not interested in living that long, the last 10 or so years of that run kind of suck from what I can tell.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Middle Earth

Life is a genitic lottery.
Our oldest veteran passed recently at 112 and smoked 12 cigars a day for 94 years.
Others never smoke and die young.
If you smoke a pipe and do not drink, the "risk" is essentially zero at three or less pipefuls a day.
I do not smoke every day, only when the weather is nice and I am in the mood.
If smoking a pipe is not relaxing and enjoyable for me I would not do it.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Doctors prescribe Pot to treat Glaucoma...
The Troll Whisperer