London Mixture
Dark Flake
Standard Mixture
Standard Mixture Medium
Ye Olde Sign

Anyone interested?
This post by Peacock liked by (total 3):
JohnnyBruyere_RoyaleMikeDennison
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Pretty cool that you have a local shop that carries tins! Too bad they don't have EMP or Nightcap :lol: I'd have you grab them all for me :twisted:
This post by Johnny liked by (total 3):
PeacockKevin KeithMikeDennison
Peacock

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:57 pm

There's also Esoterica: Pembroke, Margate, And So to Bed. But I figured those are just "hard-to-get" and not "no longer in production"
This post by Peacock liked by (total 2):
Kevin KeithMikeDennison
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
houtenziel

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:11 pm

If it's Rich's, then you forgot to mention that the tins are like 200% over retail :)
That's the reason why they always have hard to get stuff in stock.. they dang near want a pint of blood with each purchase.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 2):
Kevin KeithMikeDennison
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Peacock

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:59 pm

houtenziel wrote:
If it's Rich's, then you forgot to mention that the tins are like 200% over retail :)
That's the reason why they always have hard to get stuff in stock.. they dang near want a pint of blood with each purchase.
$20-30 per tin is 200% over retail?
This post by Peacock liked by (total 2):
Kevin KeithMikeDennison
houtenziel

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:32 pm

OfPipeAndPen wrote:
houtenziel wrote:

If you are talking about Dunhill, then absolutely yes. If you are talking about Esoterica, then yes again, since they usually sell for about $13-15(after the recent price increase) a tin when they come in. $30 a tin is ebay flipper prices.
Every time I've gone in to Rich's, it's cool to see all the tins they have, and to look at the pipes.. and I am even one who will generally pay more to keep a local place in business.. But I guess there is a reason they Call it "Rich's", aside from being somebody's name. :)
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 5):
IslayphileLongshanksPeacockKevin KeithMikeDennison
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:11 am

houtenziel wrote:
OfPipeAndPen wrote:
houtenziel wrote:

If you are talking about Dunhill, then absolutely yes. If you are talking about Esoterica, then yes again, since they usually sell for about $13-15(after the recent price increase) a tin when they come in. $30 a tin is ebay flipper prices.
Every time I've gone in to Rich's, it's cool to see all the tins they have, and to look at the pipes.. and I am even one who will generally pay more to keep a local place in business.. But I guess there is a reason they Call it "Rich's", aside from being somebody's name. :)
If you are in Portland, how much of the price is tax? I am guessing a significant amount.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 2):
PeacockMikeDennison
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:15 am

Johnny wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:49 pm
Pretty cool that you have a local shop that carries tins! Too bad they don't have EMP or Nightcap :lol: I'd have you grab them all for me :twisted:
I like EMP. I sure wish it was still being made. I'd go bulk though, and it would have to be on sale.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 3):
PeacockMikeDennisonJohnny
houtenziel

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:43 am

Fr_Tom wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:11 am
houtenziel wrote:
OfPipeAndPen wrote:

If you are in Portland, how much of the price is tax? I am guessing a significant amount.
Oregon taxes pipe tobacco at 65% of the wholesale price. I suppose that since Esoterica is already pretty expensive per tin, wholesale margin is going to be thinner, and the tax probably pushes it in that range. If you assume 10% less than $15 retail price for wholesale, then add the 65% tax, it's $22 and change. If you are trying to actually turn a profit, adding that %10 back.. yeah.. I am glad I like SPRT..

I guess I only have the local shop here(The Briar Shoppe) that closed down about a year or so ago to compare to. Pretty sad, as they were the shop that really set me up and got me started with the pipe.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 3):
PeacockMikeDennisonMr Beardsley