G-8 and his Battle Aces

Whalehead King

Here's a photo of a tin I'm about to open:

Allow me to introduce you to a rabbit hole of old pulp fiction magazines: https://adventurehouse.com/shop/product ... -reprints/

I've read a few of them. Who can resist titles like "The Gorilla Staffel", "The Mad Dog Squadron", "The Cave Man Patrol", "Claws of the Sky Monster", etc? These tales are the perfect reading material to accompany a chilled can of DIxie beer and a bowl full of Squadron Leader. Being carried away by the adventures of G-8 and his pals, Nippy and Bull, as they patrol the skies over WWI France is preferable to a somewhat dry history of the First Vatican Council. YMMV.

While I am learning from the history of Vatican I, I much more enjoy the history I learn from these reprints of G-8 and his Battle Aces when I'm smoking a pipe full of Squadron Leader.
Peacock

Damn you WK, this is too cool! Just picked up my first tin of SL and can't wait to try it... but these old prints are so neat. How about that description for The Gorilla Staffel:
What were these catlike monsters? What was the strange death they carried? G-8 and his aces buddies follow this horror staffer straight into action skies!
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Whalehead King

Peacock wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:34 pm Damn you WK, this is too cool! Just picked up my first tin of SL and can't wait to try it... but these old prints are so neat. How about that description for The Gorilla Staffel:
What were these catlike monsters? What was the strange death they carried? G-8 and his aces buddies follow this horror staffer straight into action skies!
Order a couple of these books. They are all a rollicking good read. I don't want to spoil the end for you! My favorite is "The Purple Aces." Every one of them, though, is a real page turner and, for ten bucks, what do you have to lose?
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

That's a great l8nk , WK ! Enoy !!

[mention]Peacock[/mention] .. if you dig comics .. check this site out ..

https://readcomiconline.to

I've spentvway too much time there

Also , furycomics.com has golden age stuff
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Peacock

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:10 am That's a great l8nk , WK ! Enoy !!

Peacock .. if you dig comics .. check this site out ..

https://readcomiconline.to

I've spentvway too much time there

Also , furycomics.com has golden age stuff
Yoooooo!! So cool! Thank you for sharing... another work distraction enabled. Ruffinogold you rock :awesome: :bow:

P.S. I'm still miffed that I can't use the mention bbcode - [mention]sisyphus[/mention] what's the dealio?
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Peacock wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:08 am
P.S. I'm still miffed that I can't use the mention bbcode - @sisyphus what's the dealio?
Are you on an iphone or ipad? I think it is broken on those two.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Peacock

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:35 am
P.S. I'm still miffed that I can't use the mention bbcode - @sisyphus what's the dealio?
I'm normally on my iPhone, but I'm on the desktop currently - "You don't have permission to use certain BBCodes: (open bracket) mention]."
slowroll
Founding Member

Somewhere, I have a compendium of old Smilin' Jack cartoons. Loved his buddies Downwind Jackson and Fatstuff. Anyone else remember that strip? Curiously, my original flight instructor looked like smilin' jack.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Peacock wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 am
I'm normally on my iPhone, but I'm on the desktop currently - "You don't have permission to use certain BBCodes: (open bracket) mention]."
Curious - it happens in different browsers too? It works for me on a variety of Linux and Windows desktops. I am on the Android phone now. I'll see if I can tag you - @peacock.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:54 am
Peacock wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 am

Curious - it happens in different browsers too? It works for me on a variety of Linux and Windows desktops. I am on the Android phone now. I'll see if I can tag you - @peacock.
It happens with me too across multiple browsers, and in Linux/Windows. I think the reason you are able to use them, is that you are a moderator and have the permissions to use those codes.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt