Jarring flake tobacco

Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:39 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:10 am I like the green or brown ball jars to keep the light out and I just stuff them to capacity.
I think I've said it before somewhere but the only glass that actually filters uv light is amber (brown). Blue and green look pretty but don't actually do anything about light
Then I will switch my one green jar to a brown one. Lol.
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:10 am I like the green or brown ball jars to keep the light out and I just stuff them to capacity.
I think I've said it before somewhere but the only glass that actually filters uv light is amber (brown). Blue and green look pretty but don't actually do anything about light
This is true. This is why beer is typically sold in brown bottles, as UV causes weird breakdown in the alpha acids that give hops their distinct tastes. Green and clear bottled beer that sits under the fluorescent lights in the grocery store will often be "skunked" from the UV exposure.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:18 pm
Then I will switch my one green jar to a brown one. Lol.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I was just pointing out that the green / blue / red jars are strictly for looks. I use all clear glass on mine lol
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

If I not going to pop a tin of something and won't be getting to it anytime soon . I just leave it in the tin . If it's one I'm wanting to open , it'll go in a jar that it fills to near capacity... like it was in the tin .
I remember reading that MacBaren , whom i consider to be the masters of packaging , vacuum 40% of the air out of the tin when it gets sealed . So , i figure , if im gona jar stuff , an abundance of air via a large jar compared to the amount of tobacco might not be the way to go . I've had some flake dry a bit in a jar with lots of air , which may or may not be bad given some peopkje want crispy flakes
What I'll do for McClelland flakes and SG stuff in general .... those bastids come wet and or thick , so I'll try them to almost where I want them .... then jar them , that way they're basically ready at the jar pop
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.