Lane BCA , Dark Red .. Captain Black Dark and Smokers Pride Black cavendish

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I lumped these four together because they are similar in many ways . I have yet to do a side by side of the 4 together but I'm fairly familiar with each that what I write here shouldn’t be too far off and should make some sense

Each is a Lane Product and if I were to guess , each starts off with the same base blend . I really dont taste much difference in them other than the flavourings that change . The flavouring in each are quite mild , thus the base blend kind of stands out to me . Also , the amount of steaming and PG changes to an extent in some

Ill use Lane BCA as the starting base blend of these 4

Lane BCA is Lanes basic black Cavendish . Lanes BCA has what I call the generic black Cavendish flavour . I dont know what it is but I like all the brands version of their basic black cavendishes , I do . I think maybe BCA is processed one step less than the others because I get a little bit of bitterness in BCA , which I don’t in the other 3 . But that’s just me , maybe you don’t or wont

The way I see these .. BCA is the start . BCA gets processed one step further [ ? ] and it's then ready for becoming Captain Black Dark . The Dark has a slightly different flavouring than the BCA but real similar , or maybe its the same flavouring but just more of it or maybe its because its processed a step further that the flavour seems a little different [ ? ]
CB Dark is real good ... no bitterness and no bite . Killer aroma and pretty much the generic black Cavendish flavour and a little more PG . I like it but I dont by it because it because Smokers pride is so damn similar . Its a touch more PG than the Dark and the flavouring is about the same as well . A pouch of CB Dark is at least 6 bucks ...a 12 oz bag of SPBC is 14 , so its a non issue for me

Lanes Dark Red ............................. is freaking great . Its basically CB Dark with a little bit of Cherry and a good tasting little bit of cherry at that . Its just enough cherry to where you'll say .... Ok , I guess thats cherry . Its extremely good and available in bulk ! Its very similar to Sutliffs Cherry Bon Bon . Between the two , Id have to do a side by side to know which I'd like better . A few weeks ago , I'd have said the Bon Bon but at this point , I think theyre equal .

All these blends are no bite .. I man , if you get thse to bite its probably because you have a " thing " with PG , which is unfortunate because PG is in most blends on th market to some extent

Anyway , just wanted to write that these blends are very similar , very good and .. other than the CB Dark , rather inexpensive . I cant imagine turning them down , except for the BCA because of the very slight bitterness .. but I'd still take it :)

Oh , and the aroma to all these blends .... wonderful
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Have you had the SP Rum Cured and the SP Whiskey?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:02 pm Have you had the SP Rum Cured and the SP Whiskey?
I know I havent had the rum cured but I think I had the whiskey , though I dont remmber
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have never really warmed up to black cavendish based aromatics. It is probably a character flaw.

I do like these though, and I enjoy the Rum Cured mixed with some rubbed out Mammoth Cave.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Billy Joe

Love both the BCA and the Dark Red.

BCA is my favorite thing to add to OTC'S to get something different. Thinking of doing the same with some Dark Red.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Billy Joe wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:21 pm Love both the BCA and the Dark Red.

BCA is my favorite thing to add to OTC'S to get something different. Thinking of doing the same with some Dark Red.
That's a damn good idea ! I think I'll add some swr to it .... two basic blends put together ... who knows ?!
Alaskapipe

I like to mix a little Dark Red with TK-6, which is already a cherry blend. For me the Dark Red just adds a little subtle something that I really like. I think between Dark Red and TK-6, that covers about 80% of my tobacco needs.
ted
Broken Pipe

In the late 70's, early 80's I had a relationship with US Tobacco blending in Richmond. Aubrey Evelyn and Randy Cox.... They were in direct competition with Lane and BCA.
They swore that Lane put something into BCA that was addictive (other than nic).
They finally came up with their own version #805 and it was great.

For me, BCA has an odd flavor.. bitter, musty, old... Don't like it and never have.
But when Lane used a form of BCA to make Dark Red they hit on a great mixture.

I smoke a pound of PS23 a month, but I also smoke 1/2 pound of Dark Red. Best Lane ever made. ted
JBRiner

I like the Dark red ok...I’m just not a fan of pure black cavendish. I like it when used as a condiment in a blend, but not the star of the show. LBF, English Luxury etc. some goooood stuff!
Adwyth
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

I actually buy the CB Dark in bulk and jar it. I like that one a lot. Never tried the others. Great write up man.