Haunted Bookshop

Wooda
Founding Member

Carter hall with balls.
I get lightly candied walnuts. That's about it.

If you have more to add, post it up.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I find a lot more sweetness, spice and backbone in OJK. Not that Haunted Bookshop isn't good. I smoked both for the first time in the same week, and the OJK just wowed me a lot more.

I think if anything my appreciation for Burley has grown over the years. I need to revisit HB.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
jk1300

Funny...I tried both around the same time too, but was drawn to the Bookshop more. Enjoyed both but just found HB more approachable.
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

I bought a tin of HB last month since I haven't smoked it in about 2 yrs. I didn't care for it 2 yrs ago, but this time around I'm enjoying it. Maybe it's because I purchased a tin and not bulk like I had 2 yrs ago. Does anyone notice a difference between tin vs bulk?
jk1300

Ray Mackessy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:31 pm I bought a tin of HB last month since I haven't smoked it in about 2 yrs. I didn't care for it 2 yrs ago, but this time around I'm enjoying it. Maybe it's because I purchased a tin and not bulk like I had 2 yrs ago. Does anyone notice a difference between tin vs bulk?
Have only tried bulk...found it ready to go
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Its one I havent tried or if I did , it was when it first popped up , I dont remember
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I like HB, but I have only had the bulk, so I can't comment on tinned.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Colorduke sent me a gift of multiple C&D blends. HB being one of them. Prior to that the only other C&D blend I remember smoking was Crooner, which I wanted to like in the worst way. But I didn't. I even cellared to few oz I purchased and opened after a year or two. Still not for me. I enjoyed trying the C&D blends that Scott/Colorduke sent me. Billy Budd was for me the best of the bunch. I liked HB ok enough, but for better or worse, I lean towards more mellow, mild blends and I find the C&D offerings harsh. I tend to freight train, so it's probably just me.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
JustScott

I really like HB. I smoke it probably about weekly, but every time I do, I wonder why I don't smoke it more. Simple answer is that I smoke a lot of different blends depending on mood, but only get 1-2 bowls a day. But, HB is definitely one I'd smoke quite a bit more if I could fit more smoking in. For me, the character changes depending on bowl dimensions. Actually, just the diameter. In a tighter bowl, .75" or less, the perique pops out more to me, also has a little more pepper, though it's still on the "tangy sweet" side of the perique spectrum. In a wider bowl, 13/16ths or bigger, it's (like anything) more cohesive, less a blend of constituent tastes and more "one taste". Especially when it's on the wider side of it, though it's got enough nicotine that HB in my larger bowls is a "very sometimes" thing. But the backbone is the burley. Nutty, woody, almost floral notes at times, with a big, "chewy" mouthfeel. Mmmm... Now, unless something else demands my attention, I know what I'll be smoking after I get home this morning, lol...
Wildcrow
Founding Member

I love OJK. My tastebuds have sort of calibrated themselves around it. Therefore, HB tastes like nothing more than hot air. It's from a tin. I blame years of tongue torture/torchers.