"Stuff and Things"

Middle Earth

Can't say what I really think.
But I can say he is on par with other YouTubers in the tobacco pipe sector.
Not really a fan of the genre.
oubobcat

I certainly am not a defender of all things Bradley but on the page I posted are videos of 105 tobacco reviews. While somewhat lengthy in some cases I have found that I agree with him on the ones I have tried.

OUB
Big fan for Kramer's Father Dempsey
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:02 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:48 pm Disclaimer: I think YouTube is probably the best at spreading misinformation and hyping junk products for pipe smokers. I've really become not a fan at all.

Ol Bradley grates on my nerves for some reason. I will say he doesn't fuel the hype train or spread bad info, at least as far as I can tell. But his hipster ways, and mannerisms, and pinky out everything combined with the fact that it takes him 30 minutes to get to the freaking point he makes me want to punch cute furry things in the face.

Long story short, I don't watch :lol:
I think you eloquently summed up how I feel, both about YouTube, and Bradley. Every time I've decided to watch one of his vids, I find myself thinking.. when are you gonna land this plane?! He's a little too self indulgent for me. I'd much rather read a no-BS review from Fr_Tom, or maybe even Gentleman Zombie over on TR.
Or JimInks on TR... he's posted some pretty decent reviews that reflected more reality and less hype.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:48 pm Disclaimer: I think YouTube is probably the best at spreading misinformation and hyping junk products for pipe smokers. I've really become not a fan at all.

Ol Bradley grates on my nerves for some reason. I will say he doesn't fuel the hype train or spread bad info, at least as far as I can tell. But his hipster ways, and mannerisms, and pinky out everything combined with the fact that it takes him 30 minutes to get to the freaking point he makes me want to punch cute furry things in the face.

I think you eloquently summed up how I feel, both about YouTube, and Bradley. Every time I've decided to watch one of his vids, I find myself thinking.. when are you gonna land this plane?! He's a little too self indulgent for me. I'd much rather read a no-BS review from Fr_Tom, or maybe even Gentleman Zombie over on TR.
Thanks! I don't think I have the most refined palate in the world - especially compared to someone like Jim. I do try to be fairly straightforward, and flowery is not really my writing style.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks! I don't think I have the most refined palate in the world - especially compared to someone like Jim. I do try to be fairly straightforward, and flowery is not really my writing style.
I think this probably makes your reviews more realistic. 99% of people aren't able to discern half the flavors that Jim does - I'm certainly not able - and so I feel like a lot of his descriptions are lost on me. I do respect that he has experience with an almost innumerable amount of blends, but his writing style(to me anyway) is like a flavor word jumble. It's confusing and sometimes even sounds nonsensical, and so I appreciate your pragmatic approach to reviews.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Peacock

Coming from a quintessential Portland millenial hipster, I couldn't put my finger on why I don't love his videos... though it's hard to find anything else that's of higher quality on YouTube regarding pipe tobacco reviews at the moment.

However, when @houtenziel said, "self-indulgent" - that nailed it for me! And I'll listen to three hour podcasts and used to watch 2 hour-long vape reviews. His idiosyncrasies are obnoxious. Just my two cents.

I did find The Pipe Nook, which I enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/user/hauntedtank75/videos
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Bullwinkle

IMO this guy has a good channel..
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

This is the best pipe smoking video I have ever seen.

https://youtu.be/RlNtZqZ568Q
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bullwinkle wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:14 am IMO this guy has a good channel..
I agree - probably one of the least pretentious YouTube reviewers. I like him, and I especially like his theological musings. He's made me really think about a few things I hadn't considered before, both in pipes and spirit. Seems like the kind of gent I would enjoy sitting down and having a beer with.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:39 am This is the best pipe smoking video I have ever seen.

https://youtu.be/RlNtZqZ568Q
I would definitely sit down and toss back a Lone Star with that guy.
― Theodore Roosevelt