Meer cleaning

rlucas
Member in Good Standing

What is the best way to clean the outside of a meer? Specifically this one.
There is some dirt on the outside of the bowl from holding it when my hands were dirty and the bowl was warm. I know it needs waxed too and currently researching where to buy beeswax and how to go about the process. Thanks for any help.
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I've never cleaned a meer, I think they look better with color and grime. I would use a toothbrush and some warm water with a dash of dish soap to scrub dirt off the outside before the wax bath.
The Troll Whisperer
Saltgrass sea

I would use a old “soft” toothbrush and a little baking soda. Mix the baking soda into a paste, Go slow and work it into the pipe. Wipe dry and repeat as needed. If it’s not getting the results you want try toothpaste. Normally I recommend flitz metal polish but would not here because I am not sure you can get it all off the pipe or how it would text to the meer.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

I'll +1 Bruyere's comment. I think they look better when they've got finger prints and color. It's quite akin to Fr_Tom's cake on the rim... it gives the pipe a story. But it's yours, so your preference rules.

I hadn't used this method before (because I like the prints and color) but I think White or Apple Cider Vinegar could be a less abrasive way to do a light surface wax removal (finger prints and what not). After cleaning, I'd melt some filtered beeswax to coat and protect the bowl from future grime. If you get it super clean, you could opt for white beeswax. If you still have some residual finger prints or splotchy coloring after cleaning, you might choose yellow beeswax. As you might guess, the yellow wax will blend the splotches in by leaving a light honey color tint over the whole stummel.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

Just the other day I was reading a thread in another forum that someone cleaned the outside of a meerschaum Falcon bowl using a toothbrush dipped in Everclear. I tried it on my Falcon meerschaum bowl and it not only cleaned the bowl, but brought out the color a lot better. After lightly brushing the bowl I immediately dried the bowl with a soft cloth.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Ray Mackessy wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:22 am Just the other day I was reading a thread in another forum that someone cleaned the outside of a meerschaum Falcon bowl using a toothbrush dipped in Everclear. I tried it on my Falcon meerschaum bowl and it not only cleaned the bowl, but brought out the color a lot better. After lightly brushing the bowl I immediately dried the bowl with a soft cloth.
I've used everclear to clean chambers with success.
The Troll Whisperer
rlucas
Member in Good Standing

Ray Mackessy wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:22 am Just the other day I was reading a thread in another forum that someone cleaned the outside of a meerschaum Falcon bowl using a toothbrush dipped in Everclear. I tried it on my Falcon meerschaum bowl and it not only cleaned the bowl, but brought out the color a lot better. After lightly brushing the bowl I immediately dried the bowl with a soft cloth.
Wouldn't the Everclear remove the wax from the bowl.
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

rlucas wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:01 am
Wouldn't the Everclear remove the wax from the bowl.
Didn't seem to, but I'll rewax it later.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Soft toothbrush and distilled water seems the least aggressive approach. I just smoke them though and all of mine are smooth but buildup in the carvings would get to me too. Curious to hear what all others do.
Middle Earth

A cloth rub-down
Then a bee's-wax cloth-impregnated rub-down
Bee's wax is what the white-goddess demands
Slave to the white-goddess