Charatan Dublin

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

I like seeing pictures of pipes, especially before and after, whether it's a crisp new meer taking on autumnal hues or a briar found on the road and brought back to service. Hope to see this area of the site fill out. I'll follow up Fr Tom and his amazing use of glue with a pipe I had to use glue on as well. My favorite, and only, Charatan.

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Did you fix the stem/button yourself? That is really good work.

I have to say, I am a fan of Charatans. I like the DC bit. The ones I have are very comfortable.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Thank you, yes, I do all my own stunts. Bad pictures and damage to scare off bidders is the only way a pipe like that would stay under my twenty dollar budget. Picked it up last year but just recently got to doing anything, kicking myself for waiting. Still like their seconds but the stem really separates Charatan from them.

I'm sold on the DC bit for comfort too, and the internals are every bit as great as my Barlings, smooth open draw.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I'm with you guys I like Charatans and I like double Comfort stems
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Alex, as always, excellent work!! Beautiful
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wow that's quite a transformation! I've got my hands on a few stinkers that needed some cleaning but I've never had to try and pull off a stem repair like that. Great work!
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Nice job , man ! Lovely pipe
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Did JoeMan teach you that trick? He's one of the first guys I ever knew who could make a chomped up stem look like new. That Charatan is worth of William Conrad himself! [mention]Fr_Tom[/mention] , I wonder why they call i them "double comfort" stems. Just something I think about, rhetorical if you will.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:07 pm Did JoeMan teach you that trick? He's one of the first guys I ever knew who could make a chomped up stem look like new. That Charatan is worth of William Conrad himself! @Fr_Tom , I wonder why they call i them "double comfort" stems. Just something I think about, rhetorical if you will.
They needed a gimick that people could spot at 10 paces. It makes for a thin bit. I am a sucker for a gimmick on a pipe - just look at my fleet of Kaywoodie carb pipes and my search for an affordable Dawes underslung.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:50 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:07 pm Did JoeMan teach you that trick? He's one of the first guys I ever knew who could make a chomped up stem look like new. That Charatan is worth of William Conrad himself! @Fr_Tom , I wonder why they call i them "double comfort" stems. Just something I think about, rhetorical if you will.
They needed a gimick that people could spot at 10 paces. It makes for a thin bit. I am a sucker for a gimmick on a pipe - just look at my fleet of Kaywoodie carb pipes and my search for an affordable Dawes underslung.
Is the Dawes like these underslungs? I could see myself smoking one of those.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!