clean & De ghost an estate pipe

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Alex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:59 pm
Lostdog5152 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:54 am The drill bit is a great way to freshen up the shank. It will improve the draw on those pipes with a skinny draft hole at the same time and I do this to most of my pipes. Just be careful with any pipe with a bend in the shank, which should go without saying. The bit will follow the path it is started on and could cause problems at the bend.
I see. I would like to use the drill bit method . But I do smoke out of a full bent billiard . A Hardcastle Camden . The Bourbon in Queens New York is 90 proof the highest .I called the best liquor store around here. Of course the people, in Queens New York, are so crazy, they wouldn't dare sell anything higher or stronger. It's not like Texas ,or the south.
would the drill bit method be inadvisable, due to the fact they're full bend's ?
Would you like a picture of the pipe?

Alex
If a Hardxastle is made like this example, I'd use the drill all day long. It's still a straight airway. If it is a system pipe like Peterson it might be trickier, but doable.

Here's a pic of a Peterson system pipe cut away. Straight airway!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:59 pm
Lostdog5152 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:54 am The drill bit is a great way to freshen up the shank. It will improve the draw on those pipes with a skinny draft hole at the same time and I do this to most of my pipes. Just be careful with any pipe with a bend in the shank, which should go without saying. The bit will follow the path it is started on and could cause problems at the bend.
I see. I would like to use the drill bit method . But I do smoke out of a full bent billiard . A Hardcastle Camden . The Bourbon in Queens New York is 90 proof the highest .I called the best liquor store around here. Of course the people, in Queens New York, are so crazy, they wouldn't dare sell anything higher or stronger. It's not like Texas ,or the south.
would the drill bit method be inadvisable, due to the fact they're full bend's ?

Alex
.... If it is a system pipe like Peterson it might be trickier, but doable.
Man, that's too much like brain surgery for me. One false slip and that pipe is will be dead in the vise. There won't be enough pipe mud in the world to cure it. The patient would require a deep injection of Bondo in its wound to get it smokable again. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/bondo-us/

I would use chemical techniques versus mechanical techniques on a fully bent pipe. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, though. The guy who uses the drill successfully gets bragging rights. When he goes too far, he's got a pipe fixed with Bondo. There's really no way to lose.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Alex
Any bend is a risk. A full bent is a recipe for disaster. Most bent pipes will not pass a pipe cleaner from bit to shank to bowl much less a drill bit. I would not try it on anything but a straight shanked pipe. Even if you stop before you get to the bend you are going to be left with a two diameter draft hole. Just scrub it good until a pipe cleaner comes out clean and I predict you will be a happy camper. 90 proof hooch is just fine fine for scrubbing. Its the elbow grease and time invested that counts for the most. Your pipe may taste of the cleaning agent for a couple of bowls but it soon disappears.
Alex

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:59 pm

Alex
If a Hardxastle is made like this example, I'd use the drill all day long. It's still a straight airway. If it is a system pipe like Peterson it might be trickier, but doable.

Here's a pic of a Peterson system pipe cut away. Straight airway!
The Hardcasle is just like this one but it isn't so dirty I think and I will go with 80 proof vodka because that is what I have and I drink .
here is my brutality on a Peterson straight billiard using what I've got in the house. The pliers was to move the poor little "Fish" British Buttner through the old cake, I wound up twisting it up little and it came apart ,but It was easy to fix because it's made in Britain not China. ImageImageImage
The last picture with the grapefruit is it soaking in pipe cleaners and rags with vodka high-grade Icelandic but only 80 proof. Will see how it tastes tomorrow.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Attaboy! Thats the way to do 'er!
Alex

Thank you all for your help and encouragement, and It worked out so well (this straight Billiard) one of the best smokes I have had yet.
But now I need a new stem, dam it . It was so tight in trying to get it in I broke it!
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Alex wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:49 am Thank you all for your help and encouragement, and It worked out so well (this straight Billiard) one of the best smokes I have had yet.
But now I need a new stem, dam it . It was so tight in trying to get it in I broke it!
Yes, the shank (and all the briar) will swell and tighten if you soak it during cleaning. Have to let it dry out almost completely before refitting the stem. After the salt & alcohol method I usually let my bowls rest in a warm spot for about a week, usually a window sill.
Alex

Dr Uhaha wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:01 am
Alex wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:49 am Thank you all for your help and encouragement, and It worked out so well (this straight Billiard) one of the best smokes I have had yet.
Yes, the shank (and all the briar) will swell and tighten if you soak it during cleaning. Have to let it dry out almost completely before refitting the stem. After the salt & alcohol method I usually let my bowls rest in a warm spot for about a week, usually a window sill.
I had no idea, What do I do now? , that it broke ? The other one I cleaned up with it didn't change much and I was able to put the stem back.
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Alex wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:11 am
Dr Uhaha wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:01 am
I had no idea, What do I do now? , that it broke ? The other one I cleaned up with it didn't change much and I was able to put the stem back.
Please put up a picture of the break.
Alex

ImageImageYes , as you can see it has a hole at the tip too, but this I was going to fill in .