Peterson 317 ,but no stem for it

Alex

I have a old peterson and am looking for a stem . apparently hard to find for the 317 . I purchased it without the stem thinking it should not be much of a problem .
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Its probably going to be a hard one to find. Not something you would routinely run into in a box of old pipe parts. Sending it back to Peterson is expensive from what I hear and some of the pipe repair places can be kind of pricey too. I would check out a place that sells semi-formed stems like Vermont Freehand. I have only ordered a couple of stems for MM cobs as I was too cheap to order them from Walker Briar Works? I disremember. Just a little file and sandpaper and they work like a charm.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

If youre not hardcore about having a peterson stem , theres other stems .. Plip and not , that you could have put on . It just wouldnt have the peterson logo on it . Hell , if it were me , Id have one made out of acrylic
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:45 pm If youre not hardcore about having a peterson stem , theres other stems .. Plip and not , that you could have put on . It just wouldnt have the peterson logo on it . Hell , if it were me , Id have one made out of acrylic
Not all Peterson stems have the Peterson logo either. Personally, I wouldn't care too much as long as it fit well.
Alex

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:45 pm If youre not hardcore about having a peterson stem , theres other stems .. Plip and not , that you could have put on . It just wouldnt have the peterson logo on it . Hell , if it were me , Id have one made out of acrylic
Hi , i'm not sure I follow you , what do you mean "Plip and not "
Alex

Lostdog5152 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:32 pm Its probably going to be a hard one to find. Not something you would routinely run into in a box of old pipe parts. Sending it back to Peterson is expensive from what I hear and some of the pipe repair places can be kind of pricey too. I would check out a place that sells semi-formed stems like Vermont Freehand. I have only ordered a couple of stems for MM cobs as I was too cheap to order them from Walker Briar Works? I disremember. Just a little file and sandpaper and they work like a charm.
Vermont Freehand, looks to be a nice solution . I'll try talking to them over the phone, to see what they think would work. They must know the famous little pipe anyway. Number 18 in Bakelite, a yellow stem is possible (take a look )tell me what you think. But what does bakelite feel like in the mouth? :?: Anyway I don't think I like acrylic. I preferred the rubber made stems I think. But I haven't tried them.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Alex wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:58 pm
Hi , i'm not sure I follow you , what do you mean "Plip and not "
Here is a description of the P-lip.

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/blog/under ... rson-plip/
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Alex

Mark Irwin
November 11, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Hi Paul, you’ll want a P-Lip if it is important to you that the pipe function as a System. In my experience, System pipes with fishtail sytems are “neither fish nor fowl” and smoke abominably. Better smoke an Irish army, with no reservoir, than a System without it’s patent P-Lip!

1 0 Rate This
from reborn pipes
Alex