How to clean a 2nd hand pipe.

JBRiner

Legion wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:16 am The Capstan briar arrived today. Looking forward to posting pics.

It's a nice clean pipe in good condition. A wash with soapy water & clean the stem with some alcohol is all that's required.
Thankfully the previous owner wasn't a clencher (Seriously, unless a stem is replaceable, I will not buy an estate pipe with teeth marks)

It's got 8 oval shaped bevels around the middle of the bowl. It's a small pipe that's not much bigger than my Grabow Duke, with a bowl that's around 50% bigger than the tiny Duke bowl. It's also a very light weighted pipe.
Nice! The vast majority of my pipes are estate pipes. I enjoy cleaning them up and bringing them back to life. There is something about smoking a pipe older than I am. I wish they could tell their story.

Enjoy your new pipe! and be careful...estate pipe acquisition disorder sneaks up fast and strikes hard!
This post by JBRiner liked by:
Legion
Adwyth
Legion

JBRiner wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:18 am
Legion wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:16 am The Capstan briar arrived today. Looking forward to posting pics.

It's a nice clean pipe in good condition. A wash with soapy water & clean the stem with some alcohol is all that's required.
Thankfully the previous owner wasn't a clencher (Seriously, unless a stem is replaceable, I will not buy an estate pipe with teeth marks)

It's got 8 oval shaped bevels around the middle of the bowl. It's a small pipe that's not much bigger than my Grabow Duke, with a bowl that's around 50% bigger than the tiny Duke bowl. It's also a very light weighted pipe.
Nice! The vast majority of my pipes are estate pipes. I enjoy cleaning them up and bringing them back to life. There is something about smoking a pipe older than I am. I wish they could tell their story.

Enjoy your new pipe! and be careful...estate pipe acquisition disorder sneaks up fast and strikes hard!
Yeah thanks, I certainly will. It's a lovely little pipe.

It's already creeping up on me, where I'm finding myself checking out ebay (Luckily or unluckily, I'm not sure which just yet, many sellers will not post O/S)

One seller has put his/her grandfathers collection up for auction. Split into 2 lots I accidentally bid on the wrong lot.
The opening bid was $58 for about 7-8 pipes & I haven't had a notification that I've been outbid yet. Oh well, $58 isn't bad for several pipes.
With 3 days to go I'm starting to hope that grandpa wasn't a clencher, lol.
JBRiner

lol, I feel ya there. I once deleted the eBay app off of my phone because I would get bored and browse for estate pipes...then I would buy them lol. I have gotten my PAD under control and reloaded the ap, but the temptation is always there!

With 3 days left I would say that there is a good chance of getting outbid. Most bidding seems happens in the final moments. Either way, good luck!
This post by JBRiner liked by (total 2):
LegionFr_Tom
Adwyth
Legion

Old thread but in case anyone was wondering ......... yep, JBRiner was correct, I was outbid.
This post by Legion liked by (total 2):
kxgPreacher1611