Stem discoloration

SnowCap

I recently purchased two old pipes (a Dr. Grabow and an unknown) from an antique store.
Any idea how to remove the greenish-grey fade from the surface?
It’s not the kill, it’s the thrill of the chase!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

SnowCap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:20 pm I recently purchased two old pipes (a Dr. Grabow and an unknown) from an antique store.
We need pictures of the pipes!

It takes a lot of elbow grease with Magic Erasers to get the oxidation off. I am too impatient to be smoking the new "to me" pipe to really have the heart for it. Some people seem to find the polishing bit therapeutic.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:27 pm
SnowCap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:20 pm I recently purchased two old pipes (a Dr. Grabow and an unknown) from an antique store.
We need pictures of the pipes!

It takes a lot of elbow grease with Magic Erasers to get the oxidation off. I am too impatient to be smoking the new "to me" pipe to really have the heart for it. Some people seem to find the polishing bit therapeutic.
Right, we need pipe pictures for sure :thumbs: And yes, a magic eraser and a lot of rubbing. You can use an abrasive toothpaste along with the ME, some people swear by that. I just scrub with the ME.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
slowroll
Founding Member

You have to sand it off. Start with 220 grit wetordry paper (keeping it wet), then 320, then 400. If you have a buffer or can rig one with a drill, you can stop there and use brown Tripoli compound then white. It will shine like new. If no buffer, you'll have to continue with 600, 1200, and higher then use white polishing compound by hand. If you want to restore estates often, rig up a buffer.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
JBRiner

I second what slowroll said. If you just want to clean up a random estate or two a year, just get some magic erasers and scrub the fool out of it. In my experience, the magic eraser is gentle enough to not mess with markings on the stem. If you use the sandpaper method, be very careful around those areas. Enjoy!
Adwyth
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

A set of Micromesh pads, which can be had at any Woodcrafters, work wonders on that oxidation. I was able to bring some really horribly oxidized stems to insane shine with those and a little elbow grease. They work really well for getting the oxidation of of metal bands too if you are careful.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
SnowCap

Thanks for all the good advice!

Pipe pic:Image
It’s not the kill, it’s the thrill of the chase!
Legion

SnowCap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:45 pm Thanks for all the good advice!

Pipe pic:Image
What cool looking pipes. Especially the unknown.
Wooda
Founding Member

That little bit of oxidation will come right off with a little polishing.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Wooda wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:25 pm That little bit of oxidation will come right off with a little polishing.
Is obsidian oil a good idea?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-