Black Dye

mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Eh. Its my first try at this so I will just try the RIT only.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
BriarPipeNYC

'SHARPIE' markers are alcohol based dyes and will also dye briar. You can use these markers to "draw" or brush on contrasting grain lines, but I'd practice of scrap briar first. Crack open the Sharpie and take out the dye soaked wick and place it in some denatured alcohol, to dilute the dye to the color desired. Use an artist brush to dye the pipe. Variations in staining- from light to dark , e.g. -can easily be easily done....darker rims blending into a lighter bowl. Create a briar nightmare by using unconventional color combos. Sharpies are cheap. Light sanding will remove some color. Spraying shellac over the dyed pipe and then a wax buffing might be a good idea. Sharpies are good for touching up scratches on briar and furniture. Practice, first.

EXPERIMENT ON SCRAP BRIAR to perfect your finishing techniques.

Good luck.
BriarPipeNYC

Black, SHARPIE MARKERS will work. The alcohol dyes used in these markers will soak into briar as well as into paper. Crack open the markers and soak the wicks in denatured alcohol, and brush on the stains. Dilute, mix colors...etc.

Office Supply and Hobby Shops have a good assortment of SHARPIE colors.

Cheap, easy, done.
BriarPipeNYC

Black "SHARPIE MARKERS" will do the job. They contain alcohol dyes. Cheap, easy, and readily available at most stores. They also come in many colors. Crack the pen open and remove the wick. Stick the dye-saturated wicks in small glass bottles, and dilute dyes with some denatured alcohol for tints and mixing colors....or just use the marker to "draw" directly onto the briar surface. RIT FABRIC DYES can also be diluted with alcohol. Mix your own custom colors.

With some skills, you can blend/paint/dye/enhance .... Draw some darker grain lines onto a pipe for "contrast staining"...... Personally, I'd practice on pieces of scrap briar or on cheap garage-sale pipes, first.

Have fun. You're welcome. :))
BriarPipeNYC

"SHARPIE MARKERS" use alcohol dyes, and come in all colors. Use the markers directly on the briar or crack out the dye-saturated wicks and dilute the dyes in denatured alcohol. I'd practice on junk briar, first. Cut up some crappy, yard-sale pipes into small chunks and test the dyes....or buy briar scraps from some pipe-maker.

"RIT Fabric Dyes" also dissolve in denatured alcohol. RIT dyes are sold in many stores.

Use "alcohol dyes" or you might ghost your pipes with stink of petroleum distillates ....which will ooze out of the pipe when the briar gets heated. Don't ask me how I know this. Alcohol dyes are the way to go. BTW, diluted shellac is also stinkless when the alcohol evaporates.... if you want some shine.
Whalehead King

I see a no name pipe and I want to paint it black.