Rim darkening

Bigflo
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:59 pm
Location: West Virginia

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:00 pm

Is there any tips or tricks for removing rim darkening

Thanks in advance
This post by Bigflo liked by (total 2):
Bruyere_RoyaleMaynard
Johnny
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 616
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:37 am
Location: New York

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:04 pm

I like to roll a q-tip in my mouth and use the saliva to clean the rim. Works a treat!
This post by Johnny liked by (total 3):
Bruyere_RoyaleWhalehead KingMaynard
User avatar
houtenziel
Senior Member
Posts: 2187
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:24 pm

Bigflo wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:00 pm
Is there any tips or tricks for removing rim darkening

Thanks in advance
If you can't remove it with just a moistened swab or paper towel, then it's likely that the wax and/or finish over the briar has been darkened. I've been successful using vodka (40% ABV) very carefully to lift the darkened areas without hitting stain, using a q-tip and very lightly going over the dark spots. You will have to re-wax any areas you do this to. If the darkening has hit briar.. then you are going to have to sand it out and re-finish the rim.
Most cases though, it's better to just leave existing darkened areas alone, as it's pretty easy to cause more issues trying to address it. In this case the old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" really rings true.

Note- I should probably add that you should not attempt to lift darkened areas with 90+% iso alcohol, as it is extremely aggressive and hard to control.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 6):
JohnnyBruyere_RoyaleMr BeardsleyIslayphileMaynardPreacher1611
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:32 pm

Murphy's soap will also clean the rim. You can always ignore it and build up some rim cake.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 4):
JohnnyMr BeardsleyIslayphileMaynard
Tsal... 🎳 Zesty flavorful adventure in pipe smoking...
User avatar
houtenziel
Senior Member
Posts: 2187
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:32 pm
Murphy's soap will also clean the rim. You can always ignore it and build up some rim cake.
After seeing what happened to your/MD's pipes, I was a bit hesitant to suggest it.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 3):
Bruyere_RoyaleIslayphileMaynard
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:26 pm

houtenziel wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:18 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:32 pm
Murphy's soap will also clean the rim. You can always ignore it and build up some rim cake.
After seeing what happened to your/MD's pipes, I was a bit hesitant to suggest it.
If you apply just a small amount to the dark areas of the rim it works good.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 3):
houtenzielIslayphileMaynard
Tsal... 🎳 Zesty flavorful adventure in pipe smoking...
Bigflo
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:59 pm
Location: West Virginia

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:49 pm

I was curious if Murphy’s would work does to damage the pipe or just clean it
This post by Bigflo liked by (total 2):
Bruyere_RoyaleIslayphile
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 7830
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:22 pm

I just build rimcake and figure it protects the rim. This is just a modest start. I have only been smoking this pipe since last March, and it was NOS. The picture is from July, so I have made a little progress since.

Image
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 6):
Mr BeardsleyBigfloBruyere_RoyalehoutenzielslowrollPeacock
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 7830
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:36 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:22 pm
I just build rimcake and figure it protects the rim. This is just a modest start. I have only been smoking this pipe since last March, and it was NOS. The picture is from July, so I have made a little progress since.

Image
Here is a current picture.

Image
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 6):
Bruyere_RoyaleslowrollMr BeardsleyPeacockMaynardPreacher1611
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:48 pm

Bigflo wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:49 pm
I was curious if Murphy’s would work does to damage the pipe or just clean it
I will not damage the pipe, just clean it. When you apply it with a qtip wait until the foam starts bubbling and turning brown then wipe it off with a clean qtip, not a lot of pressure.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by:
Maynard
Tsal... 🎳 Zesty flavorful adventure in pipe smoking...
Post Reply