I have a feelin'...

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 pm The stummel was starting to look really good so I decided to put the stem in to see the overall look, I guess the everclear shrunk the mortise enough to make it a really tight fit because when I went to twist the stem in it cracked at the joint. Oh well...
Sad day. Strike up the band...or zip tie. :?
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 pm The stummel was starting to look really good so I decided to put the stem in to see the overall look, I guess the everclear shrunk the mortise enough to make it a really tight fit because when I went to twist the stem in it cracked at the joint. Oh well...
:shock: Ouch. Yeah, liquids can cause the briar to temporarily swell. Reminds me of a trick I use on vintage NOS pipes that I've received that had super loose stems - Generally all you have to do to fix them is wet the mortise, and then regular smoking will keep them expanded. Full immersion in alcohol is definitely gonna cause some swelling.
Too bad, that grain was really starting to pop out.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Damn that sucks. Usually when I get done with the iso alcohol / salt / shank stuffed with cleaners process I find them to be on the loose side. I chalk it up to the crazy fast evaporation rate of the iso.

I vote with Kevin. Slap a little wood glue on there and zip tie it back together
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I see a zip tie in your future.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Lesson learned, I should have been patient... I bet if I would have let it rest overnight everything would have been fine. In the bin it went. At least my gut feeling was right, there was some really nice grain under all of that stain and shellac.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:55 pm Lesson learned, I should have been patient... I bet if I would have let it rest overnight everything would have been fine. In the bin it went. At least my gut feeling was right, there was some really nice grain under all of that stain and shellac.
Awww... Don't toss it. I bet someone here would be willing to glue it back together and put it in rotation.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:59 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:55 pm Lesson learned, I should have been patient... I bet if I would have let it rest overnight everything would have been fine. In the bin it went. At least my gut feeling was right, there was some really nice grain under all of that stain and shellac.
Awww... Don't toss it. I bet someone here would be willing to glue it back together and put it in rotation.
It's close.to a group 2 in size. I think everyone here has pipes already.
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Heartbreaker, brother. :cry:
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:06 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:59 pm
It's close.to a group 2 in size. I think everyone here has pipes already.
The group 2 is a consideration.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Bigflo

That’s a shame it looked like it would have been a beauty