Very old pipe. Can this be fixed?

Peacock

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:10 pm
Nice score, congrats. Judging by the cake it must be a great smoker. The tenon looks to be bone, are the mortise threads cut directly into the wood or is there an insert? Does the stem line up or is it over/underclocked? Amber is brittle, really brittle, if you ever clench you might want to consider having a new stem cut. That said, the damage can be patched but will still be prone to suffering the same again, especially if clenched.
On that note - what can be done if a screw-in tenon is "over/underclocked"? This is a problem with the Willard I picked up, curious on how to fix it.

Great pipe, too, @racinghoss - I don't think I've ever held anything in my hands that's over a century old...
This post by Peacock liked by:
Kevin Keith
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Thelonious monkfish

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:12 pm

Is that Williard straight or bent?
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by:
Peacock
racinghoss

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:14 pm

It's overclocked and very loose. Bone tenon. I'll have to look later at the threads. I'm away from home for a couple days.
This post by racinghoss liked by (total 2):
PeacockThelonious monkfish
Peacock

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:17 pm

Straight. It just barely overscrews to where the alignment is off and the bowl hangs to the side when clinched
This post by Peacock liked by:
Thelonious monkfish
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Thelonious monkfish

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:00 am

Peacock wrote:
Straight. It just barely overscrews to where the alignment is off and the bowl hangs to the side when clinched
Do you have a stinger for it? A Grabow one will fit. The straight Willard stems are some kind of gummy nylon, try to avoid alcohol and definitely never soak it in any. Insert the stinger and warm it with a flame, carefull of the stem and getting it hot, you just want to loosen the gunk up. Insert the stem and twist on, once snug turn it 1/4 turn further, back off and repeat. They're adjustomatic and can spin back into place but get seized up over time with gunk, by backing off between turns you prevent the chance the ajusto will stick and leave you with a stem that spins but does not come off. You can even just try turning it as it but it might stick on you, that's why I use a spare stinger and heat. If it does stick there are things that can be done.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 5):
PeacockGrimpeurhoutenzielFlyfish FallsPreacher1611
houtenziel

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:05 am

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:00 am
Peacock wrote:
Do you have a stinger for it? A Grabow one will fit. The straight Willard stems are some kind of gummy nylon, try to avoid alcohol and definitely never soak it in any. Insert the stinger and warm it with a flame, carefull of the stem and getting it hot, you just want to loosen the gunk up. Insert the stem and twist on, once snug turn it 1/4 turn further, back off and repeat. They're adjustomatic and can spin back into place but get seized up over time with gunk, by backing off between turns you prevent the chance the ajusto will stick and leave you with a stem that spins but does not come off. You can even just try turning it as it but it might stick on you, that's why I use a spare stinger and heat. If it does stick there are things that can be done.
If you have pure mineral oil, you can add a tiny drop down into the tenon before you stick the stinger in there and tip it/turn it so the oil coats the inside. I've found this helps the "heat the stinger" method a lot.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 2):
PeacockFlyfish Falls
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Preacher1611

Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:18 am

What a great find! Nice looking pipe, can't wait to see how this turns out.