Permanent Match?? Any experiences?

nimazparsa

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:32 am

Hi mates,

I always use matches & some rare times use butane lighters which really dont like.

Recently one of my friends showed me his "Permanent Math" which seems cool!

Does anybody used that for pipes? I guess this is a good stuff for me as a match user.

This post by nimazparsa liked by (total 2):
Mr BeardsleyKevin Keith
---------------------
Change to be happy :thumbs:
---------------------
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:52 am

I had something similar to that 20-ish years ago. Fill it with regular zippo fluid and strike it on the flint on the side. It's basically a more dangerous version of a zippo lighter
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 2):
Kevin KeithWhalehead King
Not the brightest bulb in the fixture ;)
nimazparsa

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:06 am

Mr Beardsley wrote:
I had something similar to that 20-ish years ago. Fill it with regular zippo fluid and strike it on the flint on the side. It's basically a more dangerous version of a zippo lighter
Why dangerous??
---------------------
Change to be happy :thumbs:
---------------------
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:15 am

nimazparsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:06 am
Mr Beardsley wrote:
Why dangerous??
Because when you unscrew the "match stick" you have a fairly large open well of fuel in your hand. A piece of burning wick or tobacco could fall into it. You could get careless and spill it all over yourself and go *poof*. Even if you extinguish it before putting it back inside the chamber you're still dealing with hot (and potentially smoldering) objects being inserted into flammable liquid
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 2):
Kevin KeithWhalehead King
Not the brightest bulb in the fixture ;)
CoreyR
Founding Member

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:37 am

Until recently I was very active in hiking and UL camping/surviving. We saw those things being marketed, at us, every couple of years. They never caught on. I confess, they looked "gimmicky" to me so I never really looked into them in the first place and never really knew why they did not catch on but Mr Beardsley sure seems to give a good enough reason. I do know that, in a crowd that LOVES "new gimcracks," if they will remotely work without setting the user on fire, or otherwise embarrassing the guy who bought it, these "permanent match" doohickeys never did get a toehold.
This post by CoreyR liked by (total 3):
Mr BeardsleyKevin KeithWhalehead King
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:23 pm

I was always "wowed" by this lighter Bogey used...it was like a permanent match I guess. The Ronson Touch Tip. Very cool.

This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 5):
Mr BeardsleyBruyere_RoyaleMikeDennisonnimazparsaEllis You
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Kevin Keith wrote:
I was always "wowed" by this lighter Bogey used...it was like a permanent match I guess. The Ronson Touch Tip. Very cool.

Bogey used another desk top lighter along these permanent match lines...I remember it being made of stone, maybe granite. I'm looking for it online but no luck so far.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by:
Mr Beardsley
kb7get
Founding Member

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
I had some years ago also which were like the square one pictured above. Were made of plastic and not good for a pipe. The match was too short for useful pipe lighting. Was a pain to try using it.
This post by kb7get liked by:
nimazparsa
MikeDennison

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:32 am

Kevin Keith wrote:
Now that IS cool!
This post by MikeDennison liked by:
Kevin Keith
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:19 pm

Russians usually prefer Ronsonol over Zippo fluid. Me, too. This guy regularly uses Ronsonol when he tests products. I don't know why he opted for Zippo for this test.

I think he's saying, "super match," not, "super much." Either way, here's one vote in favor.
This post by Whalehead King liked by (total 3):
Kevin Keithhoutenzielnimazparsa
I run a small hotel in New Orleans. It's in Louisiana, in case you're thinking of another New Orleans I've never heard of.