Doctor’s knife modded to Piper’s knife update

ncrobb
Founding Member

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:54 pm

Well I’ve been switching back and forth between the full size and the baby for a week or so now. Both do the job of tamping and removing dottle well. You may remember I reworked two Frost brand doctor’s knives by reshaping the pill crusher rectangular end into a more rounded tamper and modded the long blades to use as a scraper/dottle spoon. I don’t really dislike either. If I’d only done one I’d be happy with it but I’ll give my nod to the baby only for it’s smaller size and the fact that it disappears in my pants or shirt pocket. For laying on a smoking table beside an ashtray either does great.

This post by ncrobb liked by (total 2):
Whalehead KingMr Beardsley
“Spread your arms, hold your breath and always trust your cape.” - Guy Clark
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:25 pm

Can you show us a picture of the modded doctors' knife blade? I want a doctors' knife. I'm probably not going to get one, but I think it would be an interesting addition to my kit of unnecessary things I carry around.
I run a small hotel in New Orleans. It's in Louisiana, in case you're thinking of another New Orleans I've never heard of.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:37 pm

ncrobb wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:54 pm
Well I’ve been switching back and forth between the full size and the baby for a week or so now. Both do the job of tamping and removing dottle well. You may remember I reworked two Frost brand doctor’s knives by reshaping the pill crusher rectangular end into a more rounded tamper and modded the long blades to use as a scraper/dottle spoon. I don’t really dislike either. If I’d only done one I’d be happy with it but I’ll give my nod to the baby only for it’s smaller size and the fact that it disappears in my pants or shirt pocket. For laying on a smoking table beside an ashtray either does great.

Rob , please bring that white no e one with you to the next Gods Country Pipe Club meeting . Btw , it would be great to do an over night , this way we could jam and get half baked . You can have one of the kids rooms or I have a pull out in the downstairs living room ... but pull outs suck .. take the bedroom , its got a queen in it ( queen bed , not drag queen )
This post by Ruffinogold liked by:
ncrobb
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
ncrobb
Founding Member

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:49 pm

Deal. Well everything but the drag queen.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:53 pm

Whalehead King wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:25 pm
Can you show us a picture of the modded doctors' knife blade? I want a doctors' knife. I'm probably not going to get one, but I think it would be an interesting addition to my kit of unnecessary things I carry around.

Nothing special. I just rounded the tip of the long blade so it wouldn’t dig in and blunted the knife edge a little.
This post by ncrobb liked by:
Whalehead King
JBRiner

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Wow, I love this idea! I’m gunna have to pick one up! BTW, you wouldn’t happen to have a pic of the end you modified would you?
Adwyth
ncrobb
Founding Member

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:14 am

Nothing special, I rounded the square corners as much as I felt comfortable without getting into the area where the blade rests. I also cleaned up some manufacturing uglies that were left from the factory. Dropping the blades down into the handle by working the nick is very important as well.

This post by ncrobb liked by (total 2):
JBRinerWhalehead King
JBRiner

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Very cool! You sir, have inspired me. I’m going to Smokey Mountain Knife Works in October. I’m on a mission to find a knife to do this too. They have a huuuge section of Frost cutlery.
Adwyth
ncrobb
Founding Member

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:40 pm

I picked mine up in Ooltewah (Chattanooga) at the Frost outlet. SMKW has a ton of knives too. Good luck and post pics.
This post by ncrobb liked by:
JBRiner
JBRiner

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:43 am

I’ve been meaning to stop by the Frost outlet. I pass it ever time we head to the Smokies. I live in the Decatur Alabama area and go through Ooltewah/Chattanooga at least once or twice a year.

I’ll post pics when I get mine done!
This post by JBRiner liked by:
Whalehead King
Adwyth