MikeDennison

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:33 am

houtenziel wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:17 am
avid wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:25 am
... it may need a different wick, not sure at all

i use mostly Ronson fuel
This reminds me.. I bought a Zippo with a pipe insert not too long ago, and the wick was a little low so I went to adjust it. Had my trusty needle nose pliers out ready to struggle with it. It was basically free to move in the wick channel with no resistance. My old zippo was seriously difficult to get the wick through, which makes me think maybe the larger wick hole is letting stuff evap more?
I am not sure why I keep buying Zippos, since I only use matches for the pipe.. :lol:
'cause Zippos are cool. 8-)
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 2):
avidWhalehead King
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:26 pm

avid wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:25 am
I fuel it, then whenever i flip the lid and light, the inside of the lid catches flame for a bit and it's a ball of fire....
i use mostly Ronson fuel
I love that ball of fire! When the whole head of the lighter goes up in a blue and yellow "PFUUFFFF." The first couple times it'll scare the bejeezus out of you but after that it's kind of fun. Try to make the sound with your mouth: "PFUUFFFF." It's a rush. It's gotta be the best charring light ever!

I like it when the flames go over my hand. It's like I'm a pipe-smoking super hero, Captain Brylon. Then, I start to feel the heat so I quickly slam the lid down on the flame.

Until the past year I've been strictly a Ronsonol man. The corner grocery, where I buy beer, sausage, pasta, celery, Tootsie Pops, and lighter fluid, now only carries Zippo fuel. The explanation for the switch was too long and convoluted for me to pay attention to, let alone remember. Nowadays, I use Zippo fuel because it's on my route of errands. I'm like a Burger King fan living in a town that only has McDonald's.

This Zippo fuel is evaporating faster than holy water!! I just overfilled the reservoir for the second time, hoping to get "THE FIRE HAND." Flick, flick, flick flick......FINALLY!!!!! Then I shake the darned thing closed before it gets too hot.

I appreciate that smooth, fresh Ronson feeling:

Do not turn off that video when you think this is only a commercial about electric shavers. The Ronson Company knew its business.

Even without the evaporation issue, I prefer Ronsonol to Zippo fuel. I didn't make any flow charts. This is just an anecdotal opinion based on my years of experience.
This post by Whalehead King liked by (total 3):
MikeDennisonavidPreacher1611
I run a small hotel in New Orleans. It's in Louisiana, in case you're thinking of another New Orleans I've never heard of.
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:31 am

Whalehead King wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:19 pm
I was going crazy until I figured it out. Why, all this week, have I been refilling my Zippo twice a day, sometimes three times? A fill normally lasts a few days, 4-5.

I use Zippo (TM) brand lighter fluid.

I kept replacing the flints. They were worn down because I kept flicking the wheel trying to get a light and coming up sparks and eventually not even that.

I checked the wheel. Was it gunked up with the natural oils of my soft hands?

Then, I figured out the cotton reservoir was dry. Why? What is going on here?

I'll tell you.

It's been about a 100 degrees Fahrenheit the past couple of days. You know what I mean: 98 in the morning, 99 by 10:00, 100 at noon, 102 at 1:00, 101 when the sun goes down. The humidity has been remarkably low, 45-55%. It doesn't get much lower than that here. Even with the temperatures where they are, the humidity makes it bearable. My theory is that the zippo fuel has been evaporating more quickly in the heat than it otherwise would during cooler months than THE BEGINNING OF SEPTEMBER.

I'm no chemist, but, I don't think the humidity effects the evaporation rate of zippo fuel (unlike H2O). I thinks it is purely the heat that has been making my zippo fuel disappear. It's either that or The Borrowers.

It's The Borrowers.
This post by Preacher1611 liked by:
MikeDennison