Pipe Lighting

Whalehead King

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:44 pm BIC for me.. I take the flints out of the used up ones for my Zippo. The Zip I use on machine mades. I should be good for a looooong time
You can't beat a good Zip!

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Whalehead King wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:15 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:44 pm BIC for me.. I take the flints out of the used up ones for my Zippo. The Zip I use on machine mades. I should be good for a looooong time
You can't beat a good Zip!

One of us, one of us, one of us!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:13 am
houtenziel wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:42 pm Matches only for me. I've tried Zippos, Bics, Djeep(which I like for cigars), Old boy knock-offs, and even hemp wick.. nothing seems to get tobacco going like a match. I've used cedar spills lit with some other fire source too, and that works just as well but tends to give your bowl a woodsy flavor.
Hey Hout! Where ya been? Missing you over in WAYS, brother. 😊
I recently decided to really hammer down on my drawing practice, and I just haven't gotten out for a pipe in about a week. I have been spending virtually every free moment doing timed figure sketches.. doing a study on Reilly rhythms and gesture.. For some reason I find smoking a pipe and drawing to be a somewhat stressful combination, although pipe ash does give some interesting values when you shade with it :D
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:17 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:42 pm Matches only for me. I've tried Zippos, Bics, Djeep(which I like for cigars), Old boy knock-offs, and even hemp wick.. nothing seems to get tobacco going like a match. I've used cedar spills lit with some other fire source too, and that works just as well but tends to give your bowl a woodsy flavor.
I recently decided to really hammer down on my drawing practice, and I just haven't gotten out for a pipe in about a week. I have been spending virtually every free moment doing timed figure sketches.. doing a study on Reilly rhythms and gesture.. For some reason I find smoking a pipe and drawing to be a somewhat stressful combination, although pipe ash does give some interesting values when you shade with it :D
Glad to see ya, sir! Sounds like a good investment of your time & effort. But it seems strange not having you around more. 😊
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:22 pm
Glad to see ya, sir! Sounds like a good investment of your time & effort. But it seems strange not having you around more. 😊
Well when I am choosing between drawing naked lady models, and smoking a pipe.. naked ladies win every time. :lol:
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:28 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:22 pm

Well when I am choosing between drawing naked lady models, and smoking a pipe.. naked ladies win every time. :lol:
😆
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I hear that Double Down calling your name.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Zip-a-dee-doo-po
ever forward
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Diamond brand wooden matches. That's it. I always have a Bic on the coffee table. I'll kiss the bowl with it when a quick flame is needed, (you know, when the match burns out too quickly leaving that small portion of tobac that didn't light), as opposed to wasting a whole match on quick kiss of flame. I don't carry a lighter out and about though... I waste the match.
Whalehead King

Preacher1611 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:17 am Diamond brand wooden matches. That's it. I always have a Bic on the coffee table. I'll kiss the bowl with it when a quick flame is needed, (you know, when the match burns out too quickly leaving that small portion of tobac that didn't light), as opposed to wasting a whole match on quick kiss of flame. I don't carry a lighter out and about though... I waste the match.
No match ever gives its life in vain if it is used to try to light a pipe.