Faded Pipe Stem

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Go to the bottom of the page and hit the "Post Reply" button.

When the reply page loads, you will be presented with a text box and a menu of icons. Click the icon that looks like an "i" with a green dot.

Then you will be presented with a photo selection window, either on your computer or your mobile device. You should be able to select multiple photos at once, if there is a need. Once you click OK, the images will be uploaded, and you should see the "imgur.com" links inserted into your post.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

pipelover wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:38 am I was going to try boot polish.
Great minds think alike.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Houtenziel wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:14 am Go to the bottom of the page and hit the "Post Reply" button.

When the reply page loads, you will be presented with a text box and a menu of icons. Click the icon that looks like an "i" with a green dot.

Then you will be presented with a photo selection window, either on your computer or your mobile device. You should be able to select multiple photos at once, if there is a need. Once you click OK, the images will be uploaded, and you should see the "imgur.com" links inserted into your post.
You have to go the Post Reply page, you can't do it as a Quick Reply, at least not in my experience. When I post an image this way, my computer puts up a window that it hasn't worked. Don't pay attention to that. The photo always shows up. Here, I''ll try it now:

It took a while to upload but it eventually showed up. That's a screenshot. You can see what other tabs I've got open as I was reading PSF. Go figure.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
pipelover
Broken Pipe

ImageImage[/img]I tried the advice , clicking on the i with green dot, but it doesn't like it . Mayebe because its a jpeg. I'll have to get 5yr old son to do it. (kids know everything!)
Never give a sucker an even break ..... W.C. Fields
pipelover
Broken Pipe

pipelover wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:08 am clicking on the i with green dot, but it doesn't like it . Mayebe because its a jpeg. I'll have to get 5yr old son to do it. (kids know everything!)
pipelover
Broken Pipe

AHA! Don't know what I did , but here they are !!!!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

The stems are definitely vulcanite, and the boiling water has oxidized them to the extreme. In cases of deep oxidation where one doesn't want to use flame to burn it off, I typically would soak the stems in oxi-clean, or what they might call "oxygen bleach" elsewhere. Make sure it is "fragrance free", "free-and-clear", or whatever else they use to describe it. Put a scoop of it in a small container, pint glass will work, and then fill it with warm water from the sink. Drop the stems in and let them soak for 24 hours. This will not remove the oxidation completely, but will soften it up so that sanding will be less laborious. You can skip this step, but it means a little more elbow grease sanding.
For sanding, most recommend buying the "micro-mesh" sanding pads. This is fine, and they work great, but if you can't find them you can use normal automotive wet-dry paper which is a lot cheaper and easier to get. Buy in grits of 800 up to about 2000 (you can go higher for more shine if you want to put in the work), and then I do a final polish with "Flitz". If you can't find Flitz, you can use plain old whitening toothpaste and a soft cloth to put the final polish on. Use caution with sandpaper around where the stem meets the shank, and at the button so you don't round anything off too much.

Give it a go and if you run into any issues let us know.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
pipelover
Broken Pipe

Thanks. I don't think they need sanding. I wondere what they were made of, Vulcanite ?? Wow. I'll try the toothpaste trick. How do I get the brown patina back first ?
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

pipelover wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:09 am Thanks. I don't think they need sanding. I wondere what they were made of, Vulcanite ?? Wow. I'll try the toothpaste trick. How do I get the brown patina back first ?
Those are Vulcanite and heavily oxidized. To get them black again material must be removed, i.e. sanding. Toothpaste will work as a polish and to clear up light oxidation, use it after sanding them back to black.
pipelover
Broken Pipe

I've got most of the stuff to de-oxidise the Vulcanite stem, but what brings it back to a nice brown colour. Can I change the colour to black?