Filters; How do you deal with the tar?

Legion

The only thing that I dislike about pipes, is the tar. It's disgusting & I hate it.

My pipe, a Peterson, has a chamber between the stem piece & the bowl where I'm able to position a filter that I fashion from a RYO cig filter.

What do you use to filter the tar? Or are some of you not that fussed about the tar & just use an absorbent pipe cleaner when needed?
sisyphus
Person of Interest

pipe cleaner after every bowl
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I use pipe cleaners as needed. It would be very unusual for me to need one after a single bowl. I know this is considered bad form, but I still do it.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Me filtered pipes I use a filter in, (except cobs), non-filtered pipes I use nothing. If they get too much tar I run a pipe cleaner through them.
Whalehead King

I love a filtered pipe. I love pipes with stingers. I love my Kirsten.

I don't get all worked up about tar. I just love stuff to fiddle with and clean after a smoke, which isn't like me. In every other aspect of my life I am notoriously absentminded and neglectful.

I love to empty my Kirsten of its thimbleful of juice after a smoke. I like to see how gooey the filters can get in my Medico.

This subject delights me. I know filter lovers are in the minority but I heard a wise man once say that if a pipe is designed to be smoked with a filter, it should be. YMMV.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I'm not a big cleaner, but I keep a pipe dry. A gurgling pipe is one thing up with which I will not put. I use a filter if I have one but usually forget to buy them. I use them in my filtered Grabows and cobs.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
JBRiner

I am a huge balsa filter fan. I use them in my Savinelli’s and my MM’s. I sometimes forget to restock my pipe bag with filter and smoke sans-filter with no problems though.

I haven’t tried the filter in my falcons, I’ve been meaning too though.
Adwyth
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I used a pen that matched the diameter of the little tab in the bottom of the falcons to make a bunch of dry rings. I had a bag or two of super value brand pipe cleaners that I used because they sucked as cleaners but they rock as dry rings. I don't use filters in any of my other pipes but I have a bunch of 6mm paper and 9mm charcoal thingies.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
avid

JBRiner wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 pmI haven’t tried the filter in my falcons, I’ve been meaning too though.
what filter is available for them?
insufferable filter guy
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

avid wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:15 am
JBRiner wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 pmI haven’t tried the filter in my falcons, I’ve been meaning too though.
what filter is available for them?
There is the Falcon pipe cleaner ring in the bowl. I have actually made these before, and they do absorb goo. You can go a couple of (maybe three) bowls before it starts seeping out the threads.

I think the internationals take a standard filter.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017