Reamers

Hitzy

Are certain kinds of tobacco more prone to cake then others?
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Hitzy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:44 pm Are certain kinds of tobacco more prone to cake then others?
I have noticed that Burley blends tend to build "fluffy" cake, so it seems to build up a little faster. Virginias tend to form thin hard glassy cake, maybe due to the extra sugar content. Seems like Virginia blends tend to take a little longer to get thick build-up.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

houtenziel wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:57 pm
Hitzy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:44 pm Are certain kinds of tobacco more prone to cake then others?
I have noticed that Burley blends tend to build "fluffy" cake, so it seems to build up a little faster. Virginias tend to form thin hard glassy cake, maybe due to the extra sugar content. Seems like Virginia blends tend to take a little longer to get thick build-up.
Yes - this...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

The old Reem and Kleen is the best , followed bu a senior which is a copy of the reem and kleen but just not as bad ass a steel . They adjust and are rock solid . . All reamers will work more or less but in my experience , the Reem and Kleen/ Senior just does it faster and easier
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I actually just gave my Father-in-law's Decatur Pipe Knife a go, and I have to say it works fantastically. I dig the control it gives you, and I never felt like it was snagging up or gouging in to the cake at any spot in the bowl. I think that's what I'll probably go to along with my trusty Old Timer.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

I really like this reamer that I picked up off of Amazon. It's fully adjustable for different size bowls and it also comes with a shank tool (drill bit with a handle) built in to the base. I've picked up some really filthy estate pipes with bowls that were nearly completely closed up with cake and this thing made quick work of it. ;)
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Wooda
Founding Member

I use an old Kleen Reem for the most part.

Next step in my estate refurbishing hobby is grinding an assortment of spade bits to the correct profiles to ream out the heavy stuff.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Middle Earth

I like the Cooks reamer. Easy on the pipe. But mostly regular cleaning keeps pipes operational. Take a pipe cleaner and bend in U-shape and "ream bowl. I know I'm not the only one doing this.
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Middle Earth wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:52 am I like the Cooks reamer. Easy on the pipe. But mostly regular cleaning keeps pipes operational. Take a pipe cleaner and bend in U-shape and "ream bowl. I know I'm not the only one doing this.
An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure every time. :thumbs:
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Middle Earth wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:52 am I like the Cooks reamer. Easy on the pipe. But mostly regular cleaning keeps pipes operational. Take a pipe cleaner and bend in U-shape and "ream bowl. I know I'm not the only one doing this.
Guilty as charged. :oops:
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?