Show Us Your Pipe Rack

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Just thought we needed this thread, and also wanted an excuse to show off the new pipe rack I was just given by a good friend.

So show us your racks, drawers, or wherever you store your pipes.

“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Rusticated

Bitchen
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Here is one of mine.

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

If I ever find one cheap I'd probably buy one. I think I'd want one big enough for all my pipes and for it to hang on the wall. I was looking at some online since this thread started and they ain't cheap!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:07 am Here is one of mine.

Where are all the pipes, Padre? :D
I actually really prefer that style of rack to the one I have. I am always worried that I am gonna be a bonehead and scratch the shank when pulling the pipes out. I also have a handful of pipes where the shanks are a little too wide to fit in the holes which means individual pipe stands for those, which gets kind of cluttered.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

houtenziel wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:16 am
Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:07 am Here is one of mine.

Where are all the pipes, Padre? :D
I actually really prefer that style of rack to the one I have. I am always worried that I am gonna be a bonehead and scratch the shank when pulling the pipes out. I also have a handful of pipes where the shanks are a little too wide to fit in the holes which means individual pipe stands for those, which gets kind of cluttered.
This was taken when I got it - before it was populated.

It has 7 rows with 13 pipes each. Initially I thought that was about right to have a row for each day of the week. The problem of course is that this style of rotation does not work well for my style. I will be running around with a pipe in my mouth and smoking it multiple times before swapping it for another.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
9 Iron
Founding Member

The wife has a lighted curio cabinet in the living room that she rotates seasonal decorations in. I infiltrated it with a little touch of masculinity by placing one of my rotating pipe racks in it. Amazingly enough, she actually likes it in there.

A few of my nicer straight briars. A couple Dunhills, Castello, Ser Jacopo, Radice, Ascorti, and Il Ceppo.

ImageImage
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Any truth to vulcanite stems oxidizing when in natural light? Or is that just direct uv rays hitting them? I have a rack my wife had made out of wormy chestnut my grandfather had stored in the basement. I'm most likely overthinking it :uh:
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Pics
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Southern Appalachia wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:35 am Any truth to vulcanite stems oxidizing when in natural light? Or is that just direct uv rays hitting them? I have a rack my wife had made out of wormy chestnut my grandfather had stored in the basement. I'm most likely overthinking it :uh:
I used to keep my pipes on a shelf near our slider window in a two sided pipe rack. I did notice that the ones on the window side of the rack tended to oxidize a tiny bit faster where the stems faced the window. Another thing worth noting - I had a pipe as a decoration on my desk in a little stand. It sat next to a bright fluorescent lamp that was on a lot while I sat at my desk. I couldn't figure out for the longest time why the stem would turn green on one side of the pipe when my office was a windowless cave. Turns out Fluorescent lamps give off a fair amount of UV. Later when I left that job I took the pipe home and discovered that the UV had faded the finish on one side of the pipe, and I was just so used to looking at it I hadn't noticed. I wish I still had it to show you a picture, but there was a pretty distinct line where the pipe faced the lamp.
― Theodore Roosevelt