Tampers (Common Items)

AndreRitter

Chef Benny wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:37 am Can't go wrong with a good ole Clipper lighter! Just tamp with the bottom of that bad boy. I get them on Amazon.. Multicolor 10 pack is like 8 bucks.
The flint tube or puggly as I know it is a good raking tool also and if you get the transparent ones the level of gas is visible.
:uh:
Riff89

Never had one of them fancy tampers. I have a Czech tool that I use sometimes but I really like using this little guy. It’s a .30-06 casing and a .38spl casing. I flared the ‘06 casing slightly so that the .38 fits snug over it all the way to the neck. Inside there are 4 strike anywhere matches and a folded pipe cleaner kind of an emergency kit if you will. Originally it was just the matches but I added the pipe cleaner recently to keep it from rattling in my pocket.
Jlando19

I've been using this spent Hornaday 444 Marlin casing. I like that idea Riff89.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Jlando19 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:13 pm I've been using this spent Hornaday 444 Marlin casing. I like that idea Riff89.
@Riff89 's version is like Batman's utility belt, or Flaming Carrot's. https://comicvine.gamespot.com/flaming- ... haracters/

I don't know how hip I am to storing matches in my tamper, but if it works in practice, I'm not going to complain that it shouldn't be safe in theory.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Riff89

Citizen B wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:52 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:13 pm I've been using this spent Hornaday 444 Marlin casing. I like that idea Riff89.
@Riff89 's version is like Batman's utility belt, or Flaming Carrot's. https://comicvine.gamespot.com/flaming- ... haracters/

I don't know how hip I am to storing matches in my tamper, but if it works in practice, I'm not going to complain that it shouldn't be safe in theory.
I honestly never considered the safety of it (I’m a guy who rarely thinks of safety) but as you said it works in practice. I pulled it apart and the match heads are at the top of the ‘06 casing and not in contact with any tamping surface so I doubt if it could ever get hot enough to ignite but I suppose if it did it would just add a little excitement to the mundane task of tamping.
Riff89

So the newest modification to the shell casing tamper... I took the .38 casing and sharpened the inside edge of the case mouth. Now it is a functional cigar punch on top of being a great tamper and emergency match/ pipe cleaner storage container.
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I'm certain i posted this before . . .

The late Tom McCrainie gave this to me years ago at the Richmond Pipe Show. He made several from aluminum gutter spikes that he had hammered, shaped and polished. I carry this particular tamper in my truck with me.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

I use my finger as a tamper too!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
fingall
Member in Good Standing

simplepipes wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:30 pm Image

I'm certain i posted this before . . .

The late Tom McCrainie gave this to me years ago at the Richmond Pipe Show. He made several from aluminum gutter spikes that he had hammered, shaped and polished. I carry this particular tamper in my truck with me.

-sp
Are those Merchant Service pipes? They're great looking pipes whoever made them.
fingall
Member in Good Standing

Simplepipes, I'm sure you didn't see this so I'll bump to the top. Are those Merchant Service pipes? If so, how do you like them?